Is the starter failing in an Accord LX?

1999 LX. I hear every ten minutes a weird little motor noise for about 3 seconds when it is park in the driveway at home. It is very quiet. I cannot tell what it is. Only real motors are mirrors?? almost like an electrical fule pump coming on??? It appears this is killing the battery over a 2 year period.

I put in a new Interstate battery about 4 months ago. I tested it on a charger and it looks okay. When I go to start it sometimes just clicks. The second or third try kicks over. Sometimes it starts normally. Sometimes it takes 4 tries. Daytime temps are about 92 F in shade.

I am wondering if the starter is going or if there is a solenoid on the starter? There was a recall on the ignition by the key and the dealer supposedly replaced it.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Fabiorossi5

You are hearing the ABS charging up. I think it's mentioned in your owner's manual. Clean and tighten BOTH ends of BOTH battery cables. They aren't able to carry current because something is loose.

Heat is hard of batteries too.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

"'Curly Q. Links'" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@interbaun.com:

Honda starters also have solenoid contact problems,some solenoids can be replaced,others need the contacts and plunger replaced,or a rebuilt starter installed.

Jim Yanik

I wouldn't rule out a failing starter. Mine failed with similar symptoms - sometimes taking two or three clicks before it would crank. Problem got gradually more frequent and more severe. New starter fixed it for good.

You should check connection to battery, starter and ground to make sure they are clean and secure.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I had such a problem with a '76 Honda Civic. My cure was to wack it (starter) with a jack handle and this worked for nearly a year after which I had it rebuilt..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I clean the battery contacts, they were ticght and spray WD-40 on the contacts. The ground to the body had a little white residue. The WD-40 seemed to do the trick at first. Later in the day after 4 or 5 starts it seemed like we were back to trouble starting. I think the starter may be going.

Anyone know how hard it is to swap it out on an Accord?

Reply to
Fabiorossi5

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@GrumpyvilleNOT.com:

On my 94 Integra,I bought the parts for $30 PPD,and replaced the contacts and plunger myself. The hardest part was getting out the lower starter bolt.(a LONG one,and frozen in)

Doing the solenoid was easy.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

One of the great benefits of living in Central Texas is that fifty year old bolts/nuts still turn...

JT

(Who will never live in the rust belt again...)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@GrumpyvilleNOT.com:

I live in central FLORIDA. I believe it was aluminum-to-steel corrosion that froze the bolt,that white stuff.And it had a long threaded section.I'm just glad the threads didn't come out of the block!

Reply to
Jim Yanik