96 accord lx wagon - code 92

"92 Evaporative Emission Control System Insufficient"

vague code description. what's the typical fix for this?

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:h86dnVaf54Q0Z_fRnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

It could be anything,perhaps a cracked hose.or a bad gas cap.

go through the Honda recommended troubleshooting procedure for that model. that's what the tech guy on the PBS Autoweek show says.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I did a lot of probing of this system over a few weeks a few years ago on my 91 Civic LX, trying to get it to pass emissions. honda-tech.com turns up no typical solutions (really no solutions, period). This thread has the best treatment I have seen so far and is consistent with my troubleshooting:

Elle

Elle wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j18g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

'91s do not fail on account of EVAP.

If you really want to make sure of that, stuff a ball-bearing into the purge line so nothing can get into the intake.

Code 92 is the same as P0441. Chances are excellent that the Purge Control Valve is corroded.

Reply to
Tegger

This went unsolved--it never passed. But one of my theories was that a hose in the evap system to the throttle had failed, hence causing a vacuum leak, hence causing the computer to misread, hence causing poor combustion.

MPG was still good, however.

I do not have the 91 Civic anymore. I sold it to a family who lived outside the area that requires emission testings.

Reply to
Elle

perfect - that's just the info i wanted. thank you.

Reply to
jim beam

had the same problem on mine last time around - it turned out that the injector o-rings had failed and gas was dumping past them straight into the throttle body. the ecu could compensate at freeway speed by reducing injector pulse width using the O? sensor feedback circuit, but at low speeds, i.e. smog check speeds, leakage was too great.

modern gasoline formulations had turned the o-rings into black noxious goo rather like a bad gummy bear. replaced with "viton exp" and don't expect any more problems - passed emissions like a champ.

Reply to
jim beam