It's ALIVE! (Was 1990 Accord got flooded, won't start)

Thanks to all on this newsgroup for the advice. It took most of the day for me to get the ECU out; I had to go buy a deep socket set because the bolts stuck too far out to get at the nut with my regular set. It's always good to have more tools though. Then once I got the plate loose I had to unscrew the two boxes from the plate from the back because I couldn't get the plate out with the boxes attached. Lots of nasty words passed my lips.

Once that was accomplished I had two boxes with a bunch of wire modules attached so I pulled out the wire connectors, leaving me with two metal boxes. Those I took to the junkyard and the nice folks there (all gathered around a TV watching the World Cup) told me that one was for the transmission and the other was what I needed.

So I got the ECU for $60 with a money back guarantee, took it home, plugged the new one and the transmission one back in, put the battery back (it was charging on a cheapo 12 volt charger since it was just about dead) and it started right up. I drove it around the block and then put all the parts back together.

It lives. I think it's time to look for another car though but at least I can take my time now. Thanks again for the advice.

Reply to
dgk

Wonderful! The update is appreciated. And so far, darn right I feel vindicated, considering those folks insisting the ECU was probably fine. ;-)

We'll see if any corrosion elsewhere fries this second-hand ECU that so far is working fine.

Reply to
Elle

"Elle" wrote in news:j_%ig.4633$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

The ECU could be washed out,and thoroughly dried,perhpas it would work then. Also,Hondata might want the ECU for rebuilding into a programmable ECU.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

The carpet is still wet and it's been 10 days. But it didn't stop raining for a week so it's only been about two days of sun. I tried using a blowdryer yesterday but that was fairly ineffectual. I figured that I needed something to absorb the moisture so I dumped in a bunch of clumping cat litter. I really have nothing to lose, but I did close the windows enough so no neighborhood cat would get any ideas. That I don't need right now.

I'll vacuum it out tonight when I get home with the wet/dry vac and see how it is. Then I'll go see if I can fit a few bikes in a Honda Fit and a surfboard on top. Now that the car is running they'll have to give me something on a trade-in. Or I can sell it to the guys who sold me the computer. It's probably best not to consider the Accord as reliable transportation for too much longer.

Reply to
dgk

"dgk" wrote

Your creativity is impressive. :-) (I have no idea if the clumping litter will be effective, though!)

I do not recall seeing reports here that ECUs replaced after a flood mean the car won't last much longer, or that flooding in general means the car is going to be toast soon.

Seems to me ECUs are pretty tough. My 91 Civic LX is on its original. Except for flooding, rarely if ever does anyone report here that the ECU died and had to be replaced.

Reply to
Elle

I'm not concerned about the ECU, just about other stuff.

The first thing I did on this newsgroup was search for flooding. I found a long post on the need to beware of buying a flooded car because of New Orleans and such. He went into the problems faced by flooded cars, including water getting into the transmission and all sorts of other places.

Now, my car was only in a foot or so of water so I don't think that too much damage occurred, and it wasn't salt water either. Still, it sure got in the tailpipe and all over the bottom and floor of the car. Plus, the car is already rusting in a few places and this isn't going to help. (all Accords from 90/91 seem to rust in the same places).

It's a strange car. I bought it used, about eight years ago, with very low mileage, from a Honda dealer who had serviced it. It only has

92,000 now and should be good for much more, but the age and rust is starting to worry me. I'm concerned that it's going to start needing a lot of repairs, just because it's getting up there. Maybe I should hang on to it and see. I can always sell it later as long as it's moving.
Reply to
dgk