'95 Civic Erratic Idle

I have a 1995 Honda Civic LX with 90,200 miles. To try to save myself some money and perform preventive maintenance I replaced the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, drive belts, adjusted the valve lash, and cleaned the throttle body over the Memorial Day weekend. I also tried to adjust the timing, but it's hard to line up that middle dot with the mark on the timing belt cover. I also couldn't find the check connector with the brown and green&white wires (I did find one with brown and black and tried that one). Now my idle will go up and down between approximately 800 to 1300 rpm, and occasionally will idle steady at about 1100 rpm. Drivability is fine, just annoying at a stop light. I tried bleeding the cooling system again, but did not seem to get any air out. I'm working off of the Chilton and Haynes books. Any suggestons?

Reply to
Steve

The owners manual says you have to fill the RESERVOIR to the MAX mark whenever any work is done on the cooling system. If you top it up three days in a row, the remaining air will be displaced. Be sure to turn the heater on HOT too, since lots of air can hide in your heater core.

No tap water . . Honda premix is best.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

During the air purge procedure, did you wait for the fan to come on twice? From cold engine, this may take over 40 minutes.

links to a Factory Service Manual that may help with the service check connector. Go to the manual, then the Electrical section, then "ignition system." Or click on
"Steve" wrote

Reply to
Elle