Looking at 2001 Accord, any common things to look out for?

Hi all,

Looking at an '01 Accord Coupe EX (manual trans) w/ 110,000 km. The car appears to be in excellent shape, and seems to work well, but are there any common things I should look for or be aware of? I've read lots of horror stories about people replacing their trans 3 and 4 times in this era Accord but they all seem to be the automatics and not the manual shift.

Reply to
JM

One thing I noticed on this car; one of the A/C lines that runs vertically between the rad and the engine was coated in a thick layer of some kind of greenish grease.. I couldn't tell if it was a green liquid that had picked up dirt over time, or if whatever it was was like that to begin with.. Any idea what that might be?

Reply to
JM

Make sure the EGR kit was installed. I sold my 2001 with 145k on it, and my nephew has it now and it's got 160+ on it and still going strong!

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Was it a Japanese Honda, or US. I'm betting it was Japanese, and they coated the lines with Cosmoline (or something similar) to keep them from corroding.

They used to use Cosmolime on EVERYTHING when the cars were shipped from Japan because the marine environment would corrode different parts. I had a Toyota clutch cylinder fail because of this. Funny thing was, the car was covered with Cosmoline when it arrived at the dealer!

Reply to
Hachiroku

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news:hS0_h.6913$dy2.6767@trndny01:

So was mine. But the coating isn't actually Cosmoline. Cosmoline melts very readily in the sun, and is not suitable for coating a car that's left in the weather.

When I saw my car for the first time in 1991, I was sorely disappointed. Not only was there that lumpy, dull coating on it, but it was streaked with dirt from weeks at sea. Looked pretty forlorn and drab. It had come off the boat just a few days before.

The next week, when I took delivery, they had cleaned it all off, and the car was absolutely transformed into a sparkling jewel.

Reply to
Tegger

My wife has this same vehicle (with an automatic transmission), can someone explain what the "EGR kit" is. She has had a check engine light with a code that indicated a fault in the EGR system.

Al Bottoms Up Divers

Reply to
ajtessier

for the V6 model...? If not what's involved in the kit?

Reply to
merc68k

We have a 2001 Accord, 5 speed and 4 cylinder but it is a 4 door.

One thing to look for, if you are aver 6' tall, is ergonomics. I'm 6'1" and I find that ours is an ergonomic nightmare. There is a little drawer on the dash just inside the door that my knee catches on. When I adjust the steering wheel so it is confortable to drive, I can't see the speedometer. If the drivers door is wide open and I am in the driver's seat and set to go, I almost have to get out to close the door.

On the other hand, my wife is 5'0" and she loves it.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, with less than 90000 km on the car, we have replaced the engine and the front end...

Reply to
Wayne Brown