Mystery Nut--Anyone Identify?

Can anyone please identify the nut pictured at the following site?

It's head is 12 mm across. It has some sort of locking mechanism. It sheared off its stud, presumably due to age and the vibrations that resulted while I was grinding off the lower inboard control arm bolt on the driver's side. Part of the stud appears in the photo. At the end of the day, I found it beneath the cardboard on which I lie to do this work.

I will be inspecting the engine compartment to see if I can see a similar one.

Reply to
Elle

Mystery photo. How are we to tell?

Elle wrote:

Reply to
RWM

Can you identify the nut who took this terrible picture? As blurry as this photograph is, it's most likely to remain a mystery, though I'd venture a wild guess at a nylon-self-locking nut.

Did you shear this nut off yourself or just find it? Are you sure it's not really a old metal tire valve stem cap?

nb

Reply to
notbob

You didn't say what model Honda you have. But it looks like a manifold nut to me. On my '00 Accord both the intake and exhaust are 12mm.

Reply to
Nasty

-------------------------------

I think it's an out-of-focus picture of one of them alien space craft that they used to publish back in the 70's. Looks a bit taller though :-(

Tip: On digital cameras that don't have a MACRO or close-up setting, you can hold a magnifying glass or Grandpa's reading glasses in front of the lens, and it works just fine.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Beg pardon. It's a 91 Honda Civic. Nasty, thanks for the suggestion. My Chilton's does indeed show a bunch of exhaust and intake manifold nuts that seem to fit the bill. Majestic's online parts site confirms that the exhaust manifold has nine self-locking nuts. It's also certainly rusted enough that I would expect it to be either in a weather path or on the exhaust system somewhere. I'll take the shroud off tomorrow and confirm. Thank you!

Curly, good tip. I know it's a lousy photo.

RWM, it's some kind of self-locking nut and so is a little unique looking. I thought someone might recognize it before, ya know, I discover the hard way and my engine falls apart or something on the highway later today.

"Nasty" wrote

Reply to
Elle

It looks like a standard flanged nut with some sort of a PAL nut as locking insurance.

JT

Elle wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

snip

That quite a tip Curly... Who would have known???

I'll pass that onn to my cheap friends who have cheap cameras!

JT

(Yep, you can learn something new every day)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

That would be TeGGeR... oh wait, wrong picture ;)

Do you have a pic that's not quite so fuzzy?

Reply to
Matt Ion

Ha. We're all gearheads in this together. :-)

I'm afraid not. I am looking for a magnifying glass. Little busy today.

Reply to
Elle

Matt Ion wrote in news:rXIag.172150$WI1.82189@pd7tw2no:

Whaaaat? I resemble that remark. >:^Þ

It's an exhaust manifold nut. Looks like part of the stud is still in it too, so that's broken.

Remove the front heat shield for the exhaust manifold and have a look at all the studs.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I also thought it looked like an exhaust manifold nut. The question remains though, how did it get under the dash? Was Elle under the dash recently and unknowingly transferred the nut there?

Eric

Reply to
Eric

i would put money on it being a stud/nut for the exhaust system. either the a/b/c pipes, the catalyst, or possibly the exhaust manifold. its got the same patina of a nut/stud thats been in high heat all its life.

Reply to
SoCalMike

nuts from the front suspension. There are 4 identical sized nuts (all

12x1.25 mm) but with different torque sett> Can anyone please identify the nut pictured at the following
Reply to
ah1244

No; miscommunication. My Civic was on ramps, and I was under the car, grinding out one of the control arm bolts, for a long time (see other thread). About mid-day I moved the cardboard and wood planks on which I lie for this sort of work and found this lock-nut (with, as Tegger said, part of a stud attached). I figured the grinding vibrations knocked it free.

I'll get a closer look tomorrow. Car's driving okay, all things considered (especially all my monkeying with everything).

Thanks, folks, this will save me a lot of time.

Reply to
Elle

wrote

Is that 12 mm the nominal diamter of the suspension bolts onto which these suspension self-locking nuts fit, though? That sounds more likely.

The 12 mm I mention for this mystery nut is the nut head measurement. That is, a 12 mm socket fits it. The nominal diameter of its corresponding stud appears to be 6 mm or 8 mm. (The stud diameter is a little hard to measure while it's stuck in the nut.)

Thanks for the input. I'll update tomorrow, hopefully.

Reply to
Elle

Most 12 mm nuts on a Honda are threaded for an 8 x 1.25 mm bolt.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Hello: I just checked the stud/nut diameters with a caliper after your and Elle's posts. Yes, you two are correct: the 12x1.25 mm that Honda manual refers to is the stud diameter and not the nut diameter (should have remembered this...my apologies). For the 12 mm diameter nut Elle refers to, looks like the corresponding stud size is 8 mmx1.25 mm as Eric correctly suggests. If yours came from the front suspension, there is just one such self-locking-nut according to the front suspension diagram; 8x1.25 mm, stabilizer bar /lower arm attachment. According to the diagram, in the front suspension, there are

6 of 12x1.25 mm self-locking/castle nuts (missed two of these in my earlier post!) 5 of 10x1.25 mm 1 of 8x1.25 mm; all self-locking or castle nuts. As Eric and you indicate correctly, the 12, 10 or 8 referred to in the diagram are for the stud diameter.
Reply to
ah1244

That's what it looks like to me - a high-temperature locking nut.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I took the exhaust manifold shroud off today. It is indeed an exhaust manifold nut (with broken-off stud stuck in it). It's the one nearest the distributor.

I am amazed at how many people (Nasty, Tegger, Eric, SoCalMike) nailed this, and with a fuzzy photo, too. What a phenomenal newsgroup!

I see the stud on sale at Majestic online for a couple bucks.

I reckon I'll see how my ball joint castle nut/stud work goes today and then make a trip to the junkyard. I think the front desk man and I could become an item... :-)

Much obliged for everyone's input. This all is valued work to me, and I couldn't do it nearly as efficiently (and at some points, not at all) without the extensive experience of so many of you.

Reply to
Elle