Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

Page 2 of 2

No, the only classification that matters is the one the government makes, since they determine the safety ratings and the licensing and registration fees.
In NY, a Ridgeline is registered Commercial. It has lower safety requirements and higher bumpers than a car. Ergo, it is not a car.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

Ten years ago maybe that was the required registration class (in NY). Half-ton pick-ups are eligible for Passenger plates these days.
Seth wrote:

But it is not the states that set the safety standards. It is the Federal Gov't. They do require that cars meet different standards than trucks. And they also have different mileage requirements.
I remember years ago that Subaru imported the Brat as trucks, so that they could get around some tarrifs, too, rather than import them as cars.
Jeff
Joe wrote:

the federal requirements may be lower, but i think you'll find that the ridgeline meets all requirements, both car and truck.

Ummmmmm.....no, the only classification that matters is the guy who buys it. He calls it a car. It's a car.
You're apparently one of those types who has to go around talking about everything down to the last detail. "He took his 4 door 4wd SUV to the store, he didn't walk."

I suspect the insurance companies also classify it as a truck.And they DO matter.

you're repeating that doens't make it true.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

No. If he said he walked, I'd probably say he drove, but I wouldn't care what he drove. If he said he bought a car, and I looked at it and saw a truck, I'd say he bought a truck.
There are different laws governing all kinds of things that are different between cars and trucks. There are different insurance rates and registration fees. A truck is not a car any more than a car is a moped.