Sticky gear shifter on a 2001 SL1

Recently my gear shifter has gotten noticeably heavier to move -- it used to pop into neutral when released from a gear, for instance, and now it has to be moved with some force. The car still drives fine, but I'm concerned this is the beginning of more serious trouble. What could be causing this?

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Some more details -- manual transmission of course:

Year/Make/Model: 2001 SATURN SL (delivery date 05/13/2001) Body Style: SEDAN 4 DR Engine: 1.9L L4 SPFI SOHC Fuel: GASOLINE Driveline: FRONT WHEEL DRIVE Manufactured in: UNITED STATES

Reply to
Peter Plantagenet

Mileage? Do you drive it pretty hard? Without more details, I'd suspect your clutch is wearing and may be going out soon...

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the hint -- it has about 73,000. But it may be simpler than that -- I checked the oil and saw it was low, so changed it and the transmission fluid; it seems to be fine now. I've just not come across this symptom of low oil -- or could the transmission fluid be too thick or even low?

Peter

Bob Shuman wrote:

Reply to
Peter Plantagenet

Certainly if the transmission fluid is low, it's not being lubricated as well as it should, and (among other things) the shifts can be kinda hard.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Agreed. Hope that the fluid change does the trick for you. At 73K miles, assuming conservative driving habits, then the clutch should still have quite a few more miles.

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Yeah, probably, but that depends a *lot* on the driving cycle. City driving, particularly in heavy traffic, is very hard on clutch linings.

Highway driving, on the other hand... I used to drive a Mazda RX-7 commuting to work about 45 miles daily (round trip), almost all of which was highway. At about 80K miles, I had to drop the transmission to change the clutch pilot bearing (a notorious weak point in the RX-7) and found that the clutch disc had more than 90% of its original thickness left.

Reply to
Doug Miller