Q for Tegger re: parking brake on '02 Accord

The parking brake on my 02 Accord will not always release fully. The cable is loose, and I narrowed it down to the left rear. I can go under the left rear and manually (with the jack handle) spring it loose. It seems there is an excessive buildup of crap in the coiled spring that retracts the little lever when the cable tension is released. One time the RR disc and wheel were really really hot - almost smoking. I'm not using the parking brake now, but it's a 5sp manual, so I would like to address it.

Anything I can do more than cleaning off the "retaining" spring and making sure it's lubed?

Ooops - that should read "LR disc"...