1990 900 parking brake failure

My wife couldn't figure out why the car seemed so sluggish one morning a few months ago. Nor did she like that funny smell. Turns out she'd driven to
work with the parking brake (hand brake, emergency brake?) left on. From what I've read, it sounds like I'll have to replace the calipers. But I'm not sure. I assume driving with the rear disc brakes partially locked generated a lot of heat and melted something inside the caliper. But I removed the car's wheels and can move the parking brake arm on the caliper. The little spring on the caliper that's supposed to retract the parking brake arm doesn't seem to be strong enough to do it. Pulling on the parking brake lever in the cabin does move the caliper arm but the arm does not return when you lower the lever.
Does anyone have an idea of what might be going on and what the fix would be? I can see that there's little life left in the outboard disc brake pads. I couldn't see the inboard pads but assume they're equally worn. or could the stuck parking brake have simple burned up the inboard brake pads?
Thanks.
Michael

But how to the brakes themselves respond when driving? If they aren't releasing properly then you have damaged the calipers. It may be hard to tell, since most of the action is up front. You might try driving the car for a 20 minutes (out in lonely countryside somewhere!) and see how warm the discs get. Robobass