Question about using a 92-95 Civic alternator in a 1988 Civic

my alternator is almost totally gone at times it quits charging then will start charging again. i bought a nicely rebuilt alternator from Ebay for a fraction of what auto parts stores charge. it's for a 92-95 civic though and my civic is an old 1988 one. the 92-95 alternators are rated at 70amps the

88-91 civic alternators are rated at 60amps. i know already that they mount up the same and even the 3 groove pulley doesnt matter because the 2 groove belt on my civic with not slip using only 2 of the grooves on the different alternator pulley. what i want to know is what effect the different alternator would have on my engine. will it be overcharging by charging too much at idle speed or will it go lower to what my engine requires and not overcharging? if anyone has info or experience with this let me know.

thanks, -jeff

Reply to
hondaman

"hondaman" wrote in news:3ga4f.351$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com:

Sounds like worn brushes. You can buy a new brush holder assembly for about $25 at the dealer. You can get new bare brushes at a rebuilders for $5, but you need to know how to solder.

Go for it. There are no downsides to your wish. The alternator's internal regulator will prevent overcharging.

The only question I'd have is whether or not your electrical connectors are the same and have the same number of wires.

70 amps just means is that your new alternator has a greater capacity to produce power than the old one did, even if you never end up using that additional capacity.
Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns96F0929633B94tegger@207.14.113.17:

It also means more load(probably not a big increase) on the engine,as you don't get more power for nothing.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns96F0A383B52AAjyanikkuanet@129.250.170.86:

Yes, but you need to be using that power before it shows up as a load.

If your power draw is only 50A, you'll get the same load on the engine whether the alternator is capable of supplying 60A or 70A.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

the electrical plugs are the same to. i think it should be fine. i did it once before with my 89 civic but it seemed like my engine got a case of the rumbles while idling at red lights but i don't know if that was something else doing that because i think it smoothed out over time. thanks for the input though.

Reply to
hondaman