Re: 95 CIVIC 1.5 GRADUALLY LOSES COOLANT--

> The engine runs flawlessly and gets 45 MPG local driving and 54 MPG > > highway.

> > > Every 1,000 miles or so, I need to add about a pint of coolant each to > > the radiator and the reservoir. > > > Where should one look with these engines for coolant loss sources? =A0I > > would especially appreciate suggestions from those who are familiar > > with this engine and this year or series. > > > Thanks in advance ! > > 1. learn to cross-post. > > 2. check for evidence of leakage in the usual places, hoses, radiator, > coolant pump, etc. > > 3. check for bubbles in the expansion bottle. =A0if yes, it's head gasket.=

Are your suggestions 'generic?' If so, I already know how to diagnose coolant loss and head gasket leaks. Did you read my post? I am not looking for generic advice, I am seeking posts from those particularly experienced with 1995 era Civics with the 1.5 who can cite the exact locations of coolant leaks observed and discovered. This is the purpose of a Honda group, i.e. for those directly involved with Hondas to share their experiences with other Honda owners, etc.

Reply to
septicman

but you posted a generic crap question, so how can you be offended when you get a generic crap answer???

specify exactly what you've done to help yourself, then maybe the FREE EXPERT advice you seek will be more forthcoming.

or you can wait until psychic wednesday. your call.

Reply to
jim beam

Oh yeah one more thought, it could be your radiator cap might be jus gettin old and wore and may need to be replaced. I had a buddy who had overheating problems and coolant loss problems to. And it all came down to his radiator cap. One more place to look is on the most bottom part of your radiator. Where the lil fins part meet up with the bottom part. Jus pop ur hood and look down towards the bottom of ur radiator. Look for any coolant . Sometimes radiators get lil pin hole leaks that very slowly let coolant seep out and over time a pint could easily be lost.

Reply to
Backwoodz Tuner

THANKS !!! Your suggestions as to where to zero in on are greatly appreciated !!

Your site is great, too. I already have an authentic Honda manual (yes, Haynes and Chilton are fire-starting material at best).

Reply to
septicman

" snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com" wrote in news:9c39c643- snipped-for-privacy@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

If you're looking for a "magic bullet" suggestion, there isn't one. The '92-'95 Civic and any D-series engine have no special leak locations than any other Honda model or engine.

The usual suspects are

1) corroded/fractured rad 2) overtightened hose ends (don't forget the little ones!) 3) water pump seal (most common with the use of aftermarket coolant) 4) hose running from rad filler neck to expansion reservoir 5) leaking head gasket

If no drips are apparent on the ground, then you look for deposits on the block and rad. If none of those are present, then you do a cooling system UV dye test. If that comes up blank, then you do a combustion chamber pressure test for bubbles in the rad filler neck.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9A96488668007tegger@207.14.116.130:

anybody find 45 MPG city and 54 Hwy a bit of a stretch? I do.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Big stretch

Reply to
Jim

Yep... The 1300 engine in late gen 2 Civics and early CRX models are the only ones I know of that approached those figures. I also suspect that mileage on those would not be as high with today's crappy gas.

My '83 Civic FE gets around 41 mpg in mixed driving but that also includes keeping it 60 mph or lower. Noteworthy may be the fact that it has an '81 engine which was not quite as efficient.

Of course, on usenet, anyone can claim anything...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:M91Uj.298799$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Or simply be guessing, or doing the miles-per-tank thing.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9A96BA4CEA96Ategger@207.14.116.130:

I asked on a Nissan forum about Sentra mileage,and some guys were quoting what their trip computer was showing as their present mileage,not actual miles traveled from the odometer divided by gallons put in to fill back up to FULL.Their quoted MPG from their trip computer was rather high.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

What are you illiterate or something, cause I put a lot more detail then your shit talkin posts.

Damn surrounded by. A bunch of haters, I bet if people helped post questions to help dude out instead of quotin my shit then maybe we could help man out. But since u gotta quote me, probably means u ain't got nothin helpful to post, so hate on my suggestions it'll make you feel bigger and smarter then me, jus look at the results. Lol

Reply to
Backwoodz Tuner

A reply to the group AND an email saying a whole bunch more, that's called taking things too seriously.

Lighten up, Francis.

Reply to
Siskuwihane

$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

I hear you on this. Yes, the typical 99.999% US moron driver not only doesn't understand supply and demand and how they affect gasoline prices, they also don't have a clue as to how to determine actually fuel economy in miles driven divided by gallon consumed. I, for one, have been checking actual fuel economy continually for 30+ years as the door squeaks before I open it. Ask any of the moronic 99.999 and they will say something like "tanks per week/month/whatever." I don't mind, because I snap up the full-size late 90's Ford cars for a steal (Town Cars, Continentals, Crown Vics and Grand Marquis) for their amazing fuel economy--their owners in their own ignorance consider those cars gas guzzlers ...go figure.

Some of the reasons why my 95 Civic gets such consistenly great fuel is economy: Full synthetic oil; tires inflated to 35 psi front, 32 psi rear; super-smooth accelerating; anticipating stop lights; driving at steady speeds, usually not more than 5 over the limit; minimizing braking; if it ain't moving it ain't running (no pre-warming/cooling car); all driving is rural/small town. Also, the wheel alignment is set at zero compensation for crowned roads or anything (front wheels dead parallel to one another); frequent tire rotation to provent chopping and pulling; bla bla bla

My 99 Continental sometimes gets 30 MPG--pretty good for a blazing fast heavy car.

Reply to
septicman

130:

canadian gallon?

6.130:

Dude, it's like dude, it's cool dude, whatever dude, farout dude, dude !!

Reply to
septicman