Re: Electricity - was Re: Hybrid cars

"Dick Boyd" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Water storage for intermittent power genertion. > > In Virginia, nuclear porwer is used to pump water into Lake Anna. This > level loads the nuclear plant. Nuclear and coal plants are easier to > operate when the load doesn't change very much. When the demand peaks, > water is released and the pumps act as generators. Hydro adapts more > easily to load changes. Just modulate the water valve. Almost > instantaneous when compared to a steam cycle. the voltage sag is less > on hydro than any other generation. Recovery time is also shorter. > > In California, the dams all produce peaking power. Most California dams > have a forebay in addition to the main reservoir. Nuclear power is run > level load and the dams provide peaking power. The forebay, or > sometimes after bay is used to level out water flow for ecology. On > cool days, or at night the nuclear plants still run at the same output, > but the load that was shed by the cities is diverted to pumping water.

Environmentalists are against dams;they harm fisheries. Dams BAD,BAD,BAD ;-)

> Operation of the California Aqueduct requires manipulation of water > release to produce electrical generation as well as water release. > Eventually, the electricity is used to pump the water over the > Tehachapi mountains. > > New York City is promoting load management by users to avoid building > new generating plants. > > What does this have to do with hybrid cars?

Hybrids run on fossil fuels,and we're trying to reduce usage of fossil fuels,for enviro and political reasons.Electric power is the alternative.

Reply to
Jim Yanik