Re: Electricity - was Re: Hybrid cars

Don Stauffer wrote in news:dc7zf.1691$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Michael Pardee wrote: >> >> Sadly, wind and solar fall into the category of the least desirable >> of all forms of generation, "intermittent generation." Utility >> electricity as we know it is entirely on-demand; we don't have to >> schedule when we turn lights on and off. In contrast, public grids >> are a remarkably delicate real-time balance of generation, loss and >> load. Some "peaking" generation must always be held in reserve to >> maintain the balance, while "base" generation like coal, nuclear and >> hydro provide the cheaper electricity to meet the expected minimum >> demand. As used today, solar and wind do not fit into this at all. >> If base generation is like public transportation and peaking >> generation is like private cars, intermittent generation is like >> hitchhiking. Maybe it will get you where you are going, but you can't >> count on it. Worse, factors that affect one wind or solar site will >> likely affect all the neighboring sites in the same way at about the >> same time. > > But there ARE ways to store electricity or even to store the energy in > some other form and reconvert it to electricity later. One simple > scheme is to use turbines to pump water up a hill to a reservoir, let > it flow down through the turbines to generate electricity when you > need it.

IF you have the water(or can spare it),and if you have a reservoir.(or a place to build one) Also water evaporates,or freezes(bummer,that one).

> You can hydrolize water with it, burn the hydrogen when you need it. > > You can compress gases with it. > > Lots of ways to store the energy. >

Lots of very inefficient ways.

Then there's nuclear;clean,efficient,safe,and ready when you are.

Reply to
Jim Yanik