Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

I guess that explains why GM, Ford and Chrysler still outsell Toyota and every other import.

mike hunt

> Mike Hunter wrote: >> Does that mean you are happy in your job at McDonalds and all those >> people >> that made GM number one in the world were stupid and over paid? >> >> > > It would be beneath me to do manual work, sorry; I think you are > talking from experience but I have no basis to understand what you > mention. When GM was number one I believe that there was no real > competition. When the Japanese started competing on quality (i.e. > engineering metrics) they kicked your butts. >
Reply to
Mike Hunter

Naw, it just means that it takes the three of them to outdo one Japanese auto maker. (Though I understand that there are no longer any "american" or "japanese" brands -- the difference is who runs the company, the suits or the engineers.)

Reply to
pomponiox

Volume has nothing to do with quality or value. Watch the sales trend, GM is sinking fast and Toyota is rising fast.

Toyota just expanded a second new factory in Canada before they started construction. That factory will also ship it's modest sized SUV model to Japan. The Toyota engine plant in WV is continually expanding and I believe they are now up to 10 factories in the USA.

Reply to
Spam Hater

And GM, Ford and Chrysler still outsold Toyota and every other import by hundreds of thousands, even millions more vehicles in 2005. Obviously hundreds of thousands and millions of buyers do not agrees with your opinion of who makes the best vehicles ;)

mike hunt

.
Reply to
Mike Hunter

I agree with you. You understand statistics and market trends much better than the other posters.

One of the other factors that I don't believe anyone has mentioned is related to car sales in foreign countries. Anyone that has visited a foreign country or has access to car sales data from foreign countries will tell you that Honda and Toyota sells many more vehicles in foreign countries than Ford or GM. That is related to the bottom line (eg profit vs loss). Jason

Reply to
Jason

No, they did not, you bald-faced liar. And Toyota is no more an "import" to the entire world than GM and Ford are.

Not obvious at all, dumbshit. As has already been explained to you countless times, most people don't buy what they consider to be the "best vehicles". They buy what they can afford, based on perceived value and often, yes, a strong bias for "the home team".

Reply to
dizzy

Mike, Please post the statistics related to car sales in Japan, England or France. It's my guess that Honda and Toyota sold more cars in those countries than GM. Jason

Reply to
Jason

If you are a tv watcher, watch the show "The Amazing Race." It takes you all over the world and shows pictures of what is being driven. The two things I noticed in just about every country are (1) There are very few pickups on the road if any and (2) there are virtually no Big 3 built vehicles driven anywhere.

Reply to
Bob Palmer