Recurring ABS mystery on 96 Accord

Hi all! I'm still having an ABS problem with my '96 Accord EX-R. It's been acting up intermittently since late fall with no discernable pattern. The problem began when the ABS would consistently kick in under normal - light braking moments before reaching a full stop. IOW, every time I come to a stop, as soon as I reach say about walking speed, the ABS kicks in and the car 'coasts' about 2-3 feet before braking resumes. I hear the pump kick in immediately afterwards for about 1 second (rebuilding the pressure) and the pulse in the pedal is only once. The ABS light is not on nor does it come on. The next time I get in the car, the ABS light MAY come on and stay on..the car does the self test and the ABS disappears but as soon as I drive it comes on. Then the problem disappears altogether for several weeks. There is no pattern - one trip the ABS kicks in, the next it is fine, the next the light is on and I have no ABS.

The modulator and pump were replaced years ago due to an accident.

From searches on the net, I am almost convinced that this has to do with a sensor - simply because of the inconsistency. My question is - where are these sensors and how do I inspect/clean/re-align them. Is there a way of determining which sensor is acting up?

The only other possibility that it MIGHT be is flex hose? Not to long ago, I had a front bearing replaced. The mechanic had never worked on this car before and he spent at least 30 minutes giving it a once over because I had asked him to address several problems in addition to the ABS. He noticed that on set of pads on the front was wearing twice as fast as the other side and told me that sometimes the flex hose can collapse internally. When the brake pedal is released, the hose collapses from lack of pressure and doesn't allow fluid to return, thereby keeping the caliper slightly engaged. I don't know if this could lend to the ABS problem. When I took the car to him, the ABS wasn't acting up nor had it been for a couple of months. Think I would like to try cleaning the sensors first. All help is greatly appreciated!

MajBach

Reply to
MajBach

-------------------------------------

The set of pads is wearing because your sliders are sticking on that side.

As to the ABS you're probably right about it being a sensor problem.

has the exploded diagrams for your car. The 'tone rings' may be dirty with grease / grunge, or just way to wide a gap. A bearing flopping around will throw the tolerance of the sensor out too, apparently. Inspect the gaps. 1 mm is the spec, I think, 2 mm is normal and works OK. The one he worked on would be first suspect. . .

Why don't you read the CODES for your ABS?

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Hi, Curly, and thanks. Sliders were checked and were in new condition. Another symptom that supports 'his' theory on the flex hose is that sometimes when the car has sat overnight ( regardless of temperatures), the brakes feel 'stuck', albeit very lightly and only when I initially take off. By stuck, I mean same feeling as when the brakes freeze overnight after being exposed to liquid water in freezing conditions.

Thanks for the link- I will check it out. Never done the CODES before and thought I needed a special instrument.

Reply to
MajBach