What type of wire do you suggest using for wiring up the LED light on the spoiler? I need to solder a new wire on since the "OEM" LED wire was so thin that it would melt. Can I use copper speaker wire?
Uh, it COULD be due to the fact that he reverse connections earlier this
month and blew a fuse. Then, after reconnecting it properly (he says),
he had still more problems.
Frankly, while I believe everyone should learn how to do this simple
stuff, I'm glad he's "learning" on his own vehicle and not someone
else's. I hope that's the case anyway.
Search back on his posts. The best recommendation for him MIGHT be to
find somebody who knows what they're doing and have them do it for him/her.
Let's start with the wire size. Locate the fuse the circuit is getting power
from. If the fuse is 5A or less, you can use 22 guage wire or larger. At 10A
use 18 guage wire or larger; for a 20A fuse use 16 guage wire. The fuse
exists to protect the wire, and if the wire is melting you already have a
The LED bar itself should be drawing well under 5 amps. The overheating wire
is a good indication the wiring between the melted wire and the light is
bad; shorted or backward, that sort of thing.
Both situations need to be corrected before you drive safely and happily.
Definitely get the wire size corrected, or you could have a car fire. No
dude, it's not the freakin' wire, it's the freakin' unit. led's draw
/very/ little current. skinny wire works just fine /if/ the led's are
fine. go fix the unit and suddenly all your wiring problems will disappear.
My guess is that the wire itself is shorted to ground, most likely where it
can be pinched or goes through a small hole. I'm not familiar with the
latest in LEDs, but for the most part the active device needs resistance in
series to limit current. That would probably prevent the LED from appearing
as a short on the supply.
Back up one step. The fuse has to be changed back to what it was originally
because there was already wiring on the circuit. The fuse has to protect
that wire also. For example, if the original fuse was a 10A the existing
wiring would be sized for 10 amps... but with the overrated fuse in there it
could be subjected to twice that much current in the event of a fault. Twice
the current also means twice the voltage drop across the wire, so the wire
will get four times as hot before the fuse blows. Don't shrug this off;
notice the recent thread about the 2002 Civic destroyed by an electrical
Ordinary stranded, PVC jacketed wire is fine. Radio Shack probably carries
it as will many car parts stores. The guage should be at least as heavy as
the original fuse size dictates (from my earlier post).
As the others say, there is still something wrong with the LED if it blows
the original size fuse. They don't draw much current.
ok, if the wire melted, there's something wrong with the light unit.
total current should be under 1 amp. well under. don't try re-wiring
it until you sort it out - probably replace it. as pointed out by mike,
failure to fix could lead to a car fire.
volts are different to amps.
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.