Here, I believe, is the problem (as I mentioned in my first response).
As written by Guest on 1/09/2007
"I installed a spoiler on my car and when I first installed it, the
light did not come one and I later found out that I put the wires on in
reverse and blew a fuse. Some of the wiring even melted. I corrected
the problem and it was working correctly. Then yesterday, I bought a
splitter for the cigarette light plug so that I can plug in a radar
detector and a cell hone at the same time. As I was backing out of the
lot, I noticed that the spoiler light was not on. I had just plugged
the splitter in the socket before I started the car up. I checked and
the wires were melted again and were still very warm to the touch. This
time, the fuse was not blown. "
Methinks that Guest and other items, like water, should be kept away
from electrical devices.
LED's are light-emitting DIODES, and if you've ever run juice through a
diode backwards, they may be shorted, which will keep on blowing up the
wiring, no matter if its thin or heavier.
Remove the + and ground connections from your car and try powering the
diodes directly from another 12 V source, like a different battery. Put
a fuse in the line (as you suggested) or just a tail light bulb (way
better), since the LED's are supposed to take way less current than a
light bulb and if the light comes on bright, you know the diodes are
indeed shorted to death.
Don't bother trying a battery charger as your power source. . many don't
put out any power unless they are connected to a half-ways alive battery.
Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.