steering rack problem

I have a 2002 (new to me - purchased 3 mths ago) Honda Accord which I took in to the dealer recently & found out it has a steering rack leak

- not what one expects on a car with only about 65,000km. Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem with the Accord? My confidence in the car (which has been terrific - I love driving this car) has been shaken by the news of a hefty replacement.

Reply to
roadrunner

I have never heard of a steering rack failing on a Honda... unless somebody put in the wrong power steering fluid. That is one fluid that absolutely must be Honda-specific.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

I had a 1984 Accord with a power steering leak. First time Honda did the work under warranty. Second time it was out of warranty. The leak was fairly slow, so I just added fluid for the next 10 years.

Reply to
Don in San Antonio

Reply to
Ghislain

So, you can just keep adding steering fluid? I think it's the steering fluid leak since I have to add some every now and then and my car smokes because the leak I think drops on some metals inside. I check the oil sometimes and I don't have to add anything to it so, the power steering fluid is the one that leaks.

I have change headlights and starters in the pass. There's a hose that seems to be wet when I touch the lower side. It is a short hose, don't think its complicated one to take off but I'm afraid when I take it off something will come out and drain everything out.

Reply to
Hondamom

Reply to
Hondamom

"Hondamom" wrote in news:67f69796261a5@uwe:

Then it can't be the steering rack because that is forward of and below any hot parts. Maybe it's the power steering pump? Or hose TO the rack?

Maybe the smoke is coming from some other leak.

Good possibility.

Get a service manual. Then you will know what is what.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

My only experience with this problem was on a 1997 Dodge Caravan, which was caused by a rotted Power Steering Pump, so this may be the case.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

Wow, that's one or 2 too many racks to replace. Well, I have limited warranty, as I purchased car 3 mths ago at 60km so I pay for part but not labour. So I think I'll go ahead & get new part. Hopefully that's it for major part replacement for a few thou more kms. thanks.

Reply to
roadrunner

If it's smoking, you probably have a shot valve cover gasket that is letting oil drip on the exhaust. Mine did that when I first got it. I replaced the valve cover gasket, and cured that problem. The old ones get real hard and don't seal well. If the pump seal is leaking, you will see oil spun off the steering pump pully, and on the belts, etc. Also, it will be dripping under the pump area. If it's bad enough, it will leave fluid on the ground. If the pump pully is dry, and no signs of fluid anywhere around the pump, it's probably the rack leaking if not a hose. The PS pump leak is not in a position to leak on the exhaust. I know this cuz my pump is presently leaking.. :( I have to add a dab every few days. I'm going to change my pump when I do my timing belt, etc.. I don't like the leak. Not so much that I have to add it, but it's slinging oil on my belts. MK

Reply to
nm5k

hi, i have the same problem... 2002 honda accord SE with 59000 miles on it - leaking powers steering fluid from the rack...estimated 1000$ replacement charge... shame on honda!!! they should have replaced it for free!!!

roadrunner wrote:

Reply to
cloadsun

Reply to
Steve Beaman

My 1984 Accord had a leaky steering rack. Honda fixed it once then I was on my own when it started leaking again. In the end, I just let it leak and added some fluid every now and then. Glad to see that Honda is finally going to electric steering.

Reply to
Don in San Antonio