Recon steering rack supplier

Folks,

I need a replacement power steering rack for a Volvo V70. Can anyone recommend a supplier?

This car is ten years old and has been garage maintained from new. It is far less reliable and far more difficult to do anything on than my

34 year old DS.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

If you don't mind using good used parts, you could try here:

Cash

Hi Ian

I had some real fun trying to source a rack for my 88 Celica. The sourcing part wasn't too difficult, the problem was the racks themselves.

ZF Group were not interested - seem only interested in bulk purchases. Drivelink supplied a rack that was 2 inch too short. AMK supplied a rack that was 1.6 inch too short.

It was only ACS Steering that supplied a correct rack and what is even more strange is ACS was the cheapest by a huge margin - 150 quid cheaper!

These racks were on an exchange basis so you may not have these problems if they recon your own rack. I lost all faith and decided I wouldn't let them attempt a recon of my own rack. Especially since both AMK and Drivelink - after much time on the phone - eventually admitted the rack was indeed shorter than what the specifications on their computers stated. AMK didn't seem as bad as Drivelink who seemed to have the attitude of "thats the rack you've got so try and get it working some how".

The best second hand quote I got was only 60 quid cheaper. 60 quid extra for a recon over another 20 year old rack seemed worth it.

Good luck.

- Paul

Reply to
PaulH

I tried 247spares and got a couple of quotes for second hand racks, none for new or recon. So for now it's option B: I bought a s/h rack from a nearby eBayer (sixty quid) and a rebuild kit for it is on the way. I'm planning to strip both racks and use the best bits to make one good 'un with nice new seals.

It was much easier with the DS. "Hello, is that Pleiades? I'd like a reconditioned steering rack for a late RHD DS please. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. OK, my card number is ..."

Where Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh = response to "that'll be three hundred pounds, sir".

Ian

Reply to
Ian