Update: 1991 Accord - No Start - No Spark

I posted a question regarding no-spark on a '91 Accord last week. Problem solved: It was the coil. That is so strange considering the car ran when parked. I figured a bad coil would cause a breakdown, not a no-start.

Diagnosis went like this (steps 1-5 done before the last post):

  1. Key on causes fuel pump to cycle. Thus, ECM probably okay.

  1. Checked spark at a cylinder - nothing.

  2. Verified cam was turning through oil filler cap: Cam turns, timing belt must be okay.

  1. Removed cap, checked spark from coil high tension post: Nothing.

  2. Checked coil resistance - .7 ohms low side, 12k ohms high side (disregard last post on this - I measured the high side incorrectly). Note: These readings are in-spec!

  1. Removed ignitor from distributor and performed bench test procedure from tegger.com - Passed!

  2. Bench tested the coil: No spark from high side to ground - BUT, just enough to cause a mild shock from high side to _positive_ terminal of low side. Looks like a bad coil.

  1. Connected small light bulb in place of the coil and cranked the engine: Light flashes.

Number 8 was what finally convinced me to replace the coil. Installed a new one and the engine fired right up. I went ahead and replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires because their condition undoubtedly caused the problem to begin with.

Thanks Elle, Jim Yanik, Thom, motsco, and Tegger!

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

If the internal coil insulation breaks down at HV,you could get a good resistance reading at the low volts any meter uses for measuring ohms,(IIRC,~2volts)but when the coil pulses,the HV breaks down the insulation and effectively shorts itself out,thus not enough voltage to make a spark.

Good to hear your problem is solved!

Reply to
Jim Yanik