Where is my oil disappearing to?

That toll free number is what I called yesterday (see above) and where I got the party line on 1000 miles / per quart being OK to lose.

Be

Reply to
BE

But your consumption exceeds the "normal" rate.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it does. You are required to properly maintain the vehicle. Checking and adding oil is routine maintenance. Read your owners manual.

Much better that you insist they document oil consumption by topping it off and having you drive it for 1000 miles. If it takes more than a quart to bring it back up to full, then your consumption exceeds the limits of normal and repair is needed.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Well, that's what I did - I got them to do an oil change and documented the miles. One thing they found was that the washer on the oil drain plug was incorrect - a thin substitute for the thicker Honda part was in place. I guess one of the other oil change places I took the van to put the wrong one back on. I don't know if this could have had any role in the oil loss...

Be

Reply to
BE

Do you see oil drips where you park, e.g., garage, driveway, etc.?

Eric

Reply to
Eric

An incorrect washer might cause a leak problem but won't change oil consumption. you would have to be making a huge mess for a leak to cause measurable oil loss. Be aware that the correct washer is called a crush washer because it is crushed when installed and should be thinner when removed than before it was installed. That is why it should be replaced each time.

If I understand correctly, the dealer has measured and acknowledged that your consumption is greater than 1 qt./1000 mi. Hopefully you have this documented in writing. If the dealer does acknowledge that the engine needs repair, insist on talking to the Honda rep. The 1000 mile standard is barely justifiable as it is. Even being near it should merit at least consideration for a warranty claim. If you are over it, even by just a little, they should fix it.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

The mileage calculation of 900 miles per quart was made by me, therefore it is not trusted.

Be

Reply to
BE

No drips anywhere. We have a new, clean garage floor (since 2005) that has not a drop upon it.

Be

Reply to
BE

Well, then they have to measure it. Ask them how they want to do that. In the mean time make sure they document that the customer has reported oil consumption greater than 1qt. per 1000 miles.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Can the car really meet modern clean air standards burning oil like that?

My old Alfa Romeo required a quart every couple of fill-ups, but that was a design "feature" described in the manual.

And we won't even talk about the 1960's two-cycle Saabs where you just poured the quart right into the gas tank!

J.

Reply to
JXStern