02 Accent Electrical Problem? Please advise

Hello,

Starting today I found that my brake lights (all three) stay on all the time. Both while the car is on and off (key removed). The only way to turn them off is to disconnect the battery.

First I thought the break pedal was stuck. It was not. I followed the pedal up and followed some of the wise to see if one was loose or stuck or something stupid and found none. I did find that one group of wire went into what felt like a cube covered in a rubber. This cube was warm to touch.

First should I be worried about a fire hazard or something? Two what could the problem be?

The soonest I can take care of this is Tuesday assuming the dealer can fit me in. So I will have to drive my car till then.

Thank you,

TC

Reply to
TC

Jody

The box you describe was your brake light switch. You could unplug it, but you won't have any brake lamps.

Reply to
hyundaitech

if I wanted to fix it myself how would I go about it?

I have an apointment with the dealer on Tuesday.

TC

Jody wrote:

Reply to
TC

Reply to
Jody

There's a nut that holds the switch on. To replace the switch, remove that nut, pull the switch out, and unplug it. Make not of the position of the other nut on the switch. It's used to adjust the switch so that the brake lamps come on as the pedal is depressed. The new switch will come with one. Move it near the same position to minimize the amount of adjusting you'll need to do. Put the switch in and tighten the attaching nut. Plug it in and check to see how far you need to depress the brake pedal for the lamps to come on. If unacceptable, loosen the nuts and adjust the switch's position. This may require unplugging the switch so you can spin it around.

Reply to
hyundaitech