Electrical Problem

I recently purchased a 1940 Ford Coupe that is in great shape! However, I appear to be having charging problems. The battery is a brand new 6 volt unit, the voltage regulator appears to be brand new, and the ampmeter registers charge as the car is driven. I am able to start the car after a trickle charge, and it performs well for one day. When I shut it off, it re-starts with no problems at all. However, the next day all you can hear is the click of the solonoid when you press the starter button. I believe it is a positive ground system, but even though the ampmeter appears to show positive charging, it acts like it has negative polarity.I have tried reversing the cables, and the car does start and run, but the voltage meter emits a a high pitched hum. I have checked the ground connection to the frame and the starter posts. There is no rust and the connectios are sound. Does anyone have any ideas where to start on the problem.

Reply to
sprty40

It is positive ground, do not reverse the cables. Run the car for a day, disconnect the positive cable. Connect it in the morning and see if it starts. Let us know if it does or does not.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

ya dumb foctard prolly focked up everything when ya reversed the cables ever check for a parasitic draw YA FOCKTARD

hu r c a s t

Reply to
thewa2see

probable the regulator is sticking on and draining the battery i rewired a 1951 dodge years ago.... found the wires from the generator in very poor condition(insulation fell off to the touch) so i put in heavier wire ( on gauge thicker)..... now i cant get the charging system to work proper... there was sposed to be a slight ...(like .5 ohm or less i can remember) resistance to the wire dropping the gen output voltage just about .5 volt to the regulator... with the heavier wire it didn't do this so the voltages were all wrong and then the regulators "CUTOUT" stuck on killingthe battery.

Reply to
Rob

Big Al: I did what you suggested, I ran the car for a day,disconnected the positive cable overnight, and started the car the next morning. It worked two days in a row. I noticed when I connected the cable in the morning, the voltage regulator made one loud "clic". I'm thinking the voltage regulator is defective or there's a wiring problem. What do you think? Thanks for your suggestions. Al

Reply to
sprty40

Rob, Thanks for the info. It sounds like I may have a similar problem. I'll check out the wiring from the generator and voltage regulator. Since it's new, maybe it was replaced with the wrong guage wire. Thanks for your help! Al

Reply to
sprty40