03 Santa Fe - Radiator drain leak

Hi,

I noticed some coolant coming from the big red plastic screw at the bottom of the radiator. Looks like the drain to me. I thought I would try to tighten it a bit: I got a srewdriver, turned about a 1/4 turn one way: got worst right away. Back to original position, then 1/4 turn the other way: got worst. Does this drain has to be at a very specific position, or is broken?

I did not dare turning more one way or the other, as I was not ready to drain anything. I wonder if I can drive it to the dealer or if I should have it towed...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Xoff

The radiator may have been damaged already (highly doubtful that the radiator is bad after 3 years) or the little rubber gasket on the drain plug may be damaged. The first thing I would do is get a replacement drain plug (and a gallon on antifreeze) and quickly pull the old one out and put the new one in. You'll need to add more antifreeze and purge the air out of the system if the leak is fixed. If that doesn't fix it, then the radiator is damaged and will most likely need to be replaced.

And by all means make sure the engine has been completely cooled before attempting to do anything.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Thanks Nick. I will try that...once I find a new plug. When I remove the current plug, beside a lot of fluid, what should I expect: is the thread quite long? This is the part that surprised me the most: it seems that the leak is minimal when the plug is in a very specific position. As soon as I turn it (and it's very easy, no resistance either direction) the leak gets worst. The whole thing looks to me like one of those watch battery cover, the kind you open with a dime by turning 1/4 of a turn!

Xoff

Nick wrote:

Reply to
Xoff

It's just a plastic screw with a rubber gasket (hopefully) on it. But, trying to tighten may buy you more aggravation. As I'm sure you're well aware, you're only going to access this drain through a small hole in the subframe. I've broken a couple of these that were weak, so tightening could get bad in a hurry. It may well be more beneficial to get a new one for a few dollars along with that gallon of antifreeze and just service your radiator and put the new plug in. And because it's so hard to get to, there won't be any quick swap with minimal coolant loss. You won't be able to do it, and if you try, there'll be lots of cursing.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks for all the answers and tips.

As a follow up, I called the dealer as soon as it opened today and brought the car in. As suspected, the plug was broken. I'm glad the thing did not fall on my (short) way there! Everything was under warranty, so it did not cost me a thing.

Thanks all Xoff

hyundaitech wrote:

Reply to
Xoff