06 Sonata Factory radio removal

After reading some of the posts, it is evident to me that I am merely an amature and could use someone's help. Does anyone know how the heck I remove the factory radio from my 06 Sonata? I have looked everywhere for screws but it appears the whole dash needs to come up and I dont know where to begin. I would appreciate any info someone would send my way.

Reply to
keith.marino

keith snipped-for-privacy@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (keith.marino) wrote in news:EvCdneoNdqq-yCDZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It's simple, you just gotta know where to look :-)

The key to starting the whole process is to pry out the thin, silver (in my car) trim piece that runs just above the vents in the center of the car. Start carefully at the steering wheel and work your way towards the passenger door. Just pry it out far enough to expose the two screws you need to remove. You'll see them. Now, remove those two screws, and pry out the two trim panels to the left and right of the radio (one is the hazard switch and the other is the passenger seat belt indicator. No need to remove those wiring harnesses. Now you will have exposed the 4 or 6 (I can't remember right now) screws that need to come out to remove the factory radio.

One thing to watch, as always with those annoying spring clips, is to be extra careful getting them out. The four that are on the two trim panels by the radio can easily fall into the dash. I only have two left :-) but they will eventually fall out of the dash if you are lucky.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

Great. I am going to go give it a shot now. Thanks for replying so quickly. I'll post again with updates.

Reply to
keith.marino

keith snipped-for-privacy@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (keith.marino) wrote in news:d9ednYRhppdI8iDZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

No problem. Playing around with my Sirius radio has given me too much experience with it.

Good luck.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

The trim came off without a problem but you were right about the hazard light switch and the seatbelt light. There was nothing I could do about those little clips. the two bottom ones popped off regardless of how careful I was. So, I get the whole things apart and realize that I left the JVC wiring harness in my old car. So, I had to order a new harness for my head unit. I am waiting for the new harness and then i can install the radio. More updates to come. Oh, by the way, any ideas where those clips might have gone?

keith

Reply to
keith.marino

keith snipped-for-privacy@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (keith.marino) wrote in news:9vmdnWVp8ua0zl7ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

It's a real PIA, but they fall down inside the center dash console. One of mine finally fell out after a week or so of driving, but I couldn't get them out myself.

Incidentally, you really only need the top clip and the bottom screw to hold them in securely. That's all I have left.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.