@007 Sonata Radio Remote control

I just recently discovered that my 2007 Sonata GLS(w/premium package) has last years steering wheel radio controls. I called up Hyundai Customer Service. After disagreeing with me and arguing for a while and trying to get rid of me, they finally admitted that yes they had build some 2007 cars with leftover 2006 radio controls. When I insisted that I wanted my 4 button control replaced with the new 2007 six button control, they called the dealer to ask him if it could be done. Of course he said no, it could not be done - surprise,surprise. When I asked the customer service rep why she called the dealer rather than a Hyundai engineer, she said that she had no one else to call. I find that hard to believe, but that's what she said. I wonder who she talked to at the dealership, probably a salesman or janitor. Has anyone run into this and have you been successful in getting it replaced/changed? I found someone on the web that had changed the 2006 controls to the 2007 on an Azera. I woundn't think that the azera would be any different than the sonata. (Are you there Hyundaitech? what do you think?) Here's the link to the article on changing the azera.

Partner

I own an 06 Sonata LX, read your post and checked out the 07 Sonata interior on Hyundai's e-Brochures website - it looks the same to me. However....the photo may have been from a GL or GLS model, not the Limited - unless there are buttons behind the steering wheel (like the Cruise Control on/off button). To your point.......if you paid for an

07 Sonata, you bet your hard earned dollar that you best be getting 2007 features!!!!
Reply to
mbleisch

The two added buttons are down with the mute button, behind the 3 top buttons.

Reply to
Partner

There isn't really any such thing as 2006 and 2007 controls. In this case, the change occured 10/16/06. Cars produced before 10/16/06 had one type control. Cars produced after had another. I found this information by looking in the parts catalog. Checking the steering wheel in the catalog, I see that the steering wheel changed at the same date. It'd be my guess that the newer style remote switch won't install in the older style steering wheel.

As to whether the switch would work if you could install it, I don't know. I'm not familiar with the differences in the switches, but the schematic seems to show them to be the same electrically.

I think the thing to remember is that you weren't guaranteed any particular controls for your radio. Rolling changes occur frequently during a production year, and this appears to be nothing more than one of those changes. If your car was manufactured prior to 10/16/06, then it'd be my assessment that it has the audio controls that were intended for that car. Swapping for other controls would cause it to differ from factory specification.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Understood.....my common sense tells me the swap may not be so easy if the extra wires do not exist in the steering column. But as I said before, you pay for a '07, you better get '07 features.

Reply to
mbleisch

Thanks HyundaiTech, I always value your comments and opinion. Did you look up the link to see the comments from the person that had put the 2007 controls on a real 2006 Azera? He said it worked great. I wonder if the Azera steering wheel was changed also As you can see, I hoping that the fact it worked on an Azera is a indication that it has an good chance of working on the Sonata. BTW, the way I found this out was reading my owners manual (who does that anymore!), the description of the Steering wheel radio controls intrigued me so I took the book out to my new car to play with it. That's when I discovered mine didn't work as the book said. thanks again

Reply to
Partner

I hadn't actually looked at the link, so I went back and looked at it. It appears that both the schematics I viewed were for the earlier production controls.

In this case, the switch works by having different resistances depending on which button is pressed. So all the signals are sent over the same two wires. As long as the newer type controls operate similarly and the radio will recognize their input, they should work. But keep in mind, those are two very large ifs.

Reply to
hyundaitech

It will be interesting to find out how the swap goes. I have the older setup and yes it would be handy to have a scan button on the steering wheel. For $45 and a half hour or so, I'd be willing to do the swap. Not a major part of my life, but I plan to drive this heavily for about 5 more years and still keep it another five as the second car. A little effort and a few bucks now makes it worth while.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks HyundaiTech, I understand what you are saying.

Reply to
Partner

I just ordered the control. I'll repost when it arrives. I have a '06 LX that I purchased in Nov. '05. Here's hoping it works. I hope the radio has the capability. It does play WMA's even though it is only listed as a MP3 player.

Reply to
Rob

The part # in the article (that I posted the web address of) was for the Azera. The Sonata has a different number and also requires a wire harness adapter.

Reply to
Partner

I bought the one for the Sonata but not a adapter, could not find an adapter on the site. Do you know where I can get one?

Thanks,

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I have found two references to the adapter but they are both in Korean. the second link is for the control but scroll to the bottom and it shows the adapter. Its still not clear when/if you need the adapter. If you can help put this puzzle together, please post. Where are you ordering the control - dreamka4u? Ask them about the adapter?

Partner

I ordered from dreamka4u and emailed them about the harness. I also went to tendown and used Google translator. I emailed them in English and broken Google translated Korean, hopefully someone reads English and will get back to me. I will post when I try to install.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I have a response:

Hello~

Thanks for getting back to us.

We do have it in stock. There are 2 parts for wire harness.

  1. Part #. 56991-3K111 (US)
  2. Part #. 56991-3K112 (US)

BTW, oem wire harness(part#, 56991-3K112) is for part #. 96700

3K101(07year Left side steering wheel remote)

Please make sure what part number you need.

Reply to
Rob

That's the part numbers that I came up with also. Only question I have is if its for a US Sonata or a Korean Sonata. Please post a new thread when you install to let us know how it goes.

Reply to
Partner

Still waiting. Should be any day now.

Reply to