1995 Hyundai Accent-multiple concerns

Last year we discovered clunking noises when going over bumps even at low speeds. We were told that it was most likely broken springs in the front end (by a Hyundai dealer-without looking at or driving the car). Clunking is getting worse and more frequent. Does this sound like a correct diagnosis?

Brakes seem to fail on occassion but work when pumped. Just had all new brake/rotors etc last fall. Ideas?

Reply to
panther77

Clunking noises could be just about anything suspension related.

Check your brake system thoroughly. I once worked on a car that the longer it was driven without braking, the more the pedal went to the floor. I eventually found that the recently replaced front pads had a shim out of position, and was wedged between the piston and caliper bracket. Because it was made out of spring metal and was gradually pushing the piston back in.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Ball Joints?

BTW - don't pay Hyundai $60-70 for theirs. Rockauto.com had mine (01 Santa Fe 2WD) for $17 complete for a MOOG replacement...

As for the brakes - thats simply unacceptable. I personally don't 'piddle around' with brakes - if they're not working properly, they get torn down til I find the problem... This gets expensive, but not anywhere near my $1000 insurance deductable...

JS

panther77 wrote:

Reply to
Jacob Suter

If the car still has the original shocks and struts, that's probably a good place to start. Check for worn out rubber bushings, ball joints and so forth as well. Springs can break, but it seems less likely than something else simply being worn out.

Don't drive it until you find the problem. I would start by examining the brakes for obvious leaks or missassembly and bleeding them. If that doesn't work, the master cylinder may be shot.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Reply to
Jody