2000 Sonata - Corroded power steering pipe runing across front spolier.

2000 Sonata V6 2.5L

I have leaking fluid from a power steering pipe which runs low down across and behind the front spoiler. There are two pipes running parallel.

Is either of these pipes under high pressure? If not I am considering binding the leaky pipe with rubber amalgamating tape whilst I get the car to the garage for repair. I need the patch to survive for a couple of hours only.

Is there diagnostic information on the Power Steering system on the HMASERVICE site? I didn't see it but could be looking in the wrong place.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

If it is going from the pump to the piston, it is under pressure.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'll need to find a schematic plan of the plumbing to identify as it's in such an obscured poisition I can't easily see where it leads.

The hmaservice site seemns to have plenty of 'electricals' but I am not finding the component positional information I need, yet. I'll plough-on with the site.

Reply to
Tom

I found the hose layout diagram - doesn't seem to feature the pair of pipes running behind the spoiler though?

Is it safe to drive the car without power steering and with the fluid having leaked out. I would need to drive for two hours.

Reply to
Tom

Are you sure it is power steering? Could it be cooling lines for the transmission? They run from the tranny to the radiator and could well take the path you describe.

Check the fluid level and yes, if not a serious leak it is safe to drive for two hours.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks for yourreply.

It's a pink fluid leaking and the power steering reservoir is empty so I would be looking at driving with the p/s pump running dry.

What do you think?

Reply to
Tom

Running dry would likely destroy the pump. Can you take the belt off just the ps pump?

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

If the PS pump is dry, it is probably what is leaking. Depending on how bad it is, you can fill it and drive a bit and maybe get two hours. I'd certainly stop and check the level.

If it is the lines feeding the cylinder, the more you turn, the more it will pressurize and leak. I'd get it to a shop and have it repaired and be sure not to run it dry. That could damage the pump.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks, and yes, I suspected that dry running would be likely to damage the pump.

I can see the leak from a corroded section of one of the parallel pair of pipes that run across the width of the car a few centimetres behind the spoiler, about 25cm off ground level.

Unfortunately I can't see the same pipe arrangement on the hma service site's PS hose layout. And what's that part labelled: 4-6 (40-60, 3-4,4)

So I am still not sure if the holed pipe is low or high pressure. Would it be a clue that the power steering functioned for at least

20mins and maybe a fifty turns *after* I first noticed the leak. And also Also that the puddle of PS fluid carried on dripping whilst the cars not been being used.

I'm guessing that should it be a high pressure hose that's holed then the fluid might have drained away after the pressure of a handful of corners?

Obviously I am hopefull that my leak is on the low pressure side so i can bind the hose with my incredibly useful self-amalgamating tape.

Thanks for the advice,

Tom

Reply to
Tom

The pressure side goes from pump to R&P. It is heavy, armored, no hose clamps, bolts on or screws in, 2000 psi. The low side has a cooler or a length of pipe used as a cooler (if any), the reservoir, typically will use some sort of cheap hose clamp, and ordinary non armored hose. You can cut and splice the low side with fuel hose or pipe barbs with clamps.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Thanks, I am getting somewhere. The car is parked on the street so warm UK weather being helpful.

On examination the corroded section of pipe behind the spoiler turned out to be a loop with both ends crimped to rubber hosing, one of which leads to the higher port of the PS reservoir. From what you say that loop is a cooler component and i9s on the LP side of the PS system.

This is looking more hopeful for a patch.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Tom

Tom, I have the same car. This info may not be helpful, but I'll mention this stuff in case it is.

First, I recall that Hyundai's power steering system in this car is some sort of unusual design that's actually variable and electronically-controlled. Some aspects of Hyundai's systems were imported from other companies, and I think that the power steering is one of them. So it may be important to tread lightly. I don't know who the actual design source is. Way in the past with SAAB, I found it helpful to go to the original source. For example, a nearby garage with a SAAB up on lifts forever with an insane brake job was able to finish the job in a couple of days after I told the owner that SAAB used Bendix brakes, and suggested that he check with the Triumph dealer.

I also trashed the high pressure pump in my fancy Citroen when my pressure regular sprung a leak while driving in desert country: Citroen neglected to tell users to remove the belts if they needed to run the car without fluid.

What I'm getting at is that, because of what I believe is an arcane power steering setup, it may indeed be OK to drive your car for those two miles, providing that the pump isn't being turned. But I'm not certain.

Please let us know how you make out.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld