Power Steering Pipe Leak

My Almera 2.2 TD has a small PAS fluid leak on the long, bendy metal pipe, which runs almost from the reservoir, right down behind the front bumper, then turns back on itself, so it forms what looks like a double pipe (although it is in fact the same pipe). Must be a tiny pin prick hole as it barely drips out. The pipe is about as thick as a pencil.

I know roughly where the leak is coming from, is there anything that can fix this leak, or is it time for a new pipe? £70+vat from Nissan.

If I do buy this pipe, is there any reason not to attempt to fit it myself? Is it as simple as take the old one off, fit the new one, fill with fluid & bleed? OR is there more to PAS than that?

I am a fairly competent home mechanic, but have never dabbled with PAS.

Thanks, Carl.

Reply to
Carl Beddows

It sounds like the oil cooler section. If you can braze or weld it up then do so, but a new pipe is easier. There are no real tricks, just make sure you have a small amount of the right fluid to top up afterwards. Run the engine and slowly turn the wheel lock to lock a few times to get any air out, then recheck the fluid level.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

PAS pipes on Nissans are normally Alloy. If it was my own vehicle and knew where it was leaking, I'd personally cut the pipe at the leak, and then rejoin it using a bit rubber hose.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

I hope you mean high pressure hose.

Reply to
Conor

Where's your sense of adventure...?

Reply to
PC Paul

It runs from the reservoir, so it's not exactly going to be high pressure.

Reply to
M Cuthill