2001 Accent rear defroster problem

My friend's 2001 Accent has an inoperative rear defroster. I checked the fuse a while back and it seemed to be OK.

He's bringing over this weekend so I'd like to fix it for him. I have fuses, voltmeters etc so I'd just like to know what to check. I don't have a shop manual for the car.

Since everything else works, I presume I can rule out battery/alternator/ignition switch type problems.

Which leaves:

Fuse

switch

Defrost element

assorted wires, connectors and grounds

Would there be an electronic timer module to turn the defroster off? Where would it be and what would it look like?

Any information to speed up resolution would be appreciated.

PB

Reply to
Plague Boy

Sure you do. Just go out to hmaservice.com and sign up for a free account. Use IE as the site does not support Mozilla or any other browser but IE. You'll have to download the adobe SGA viewer but there is a link under the required software section.

After that, you've got your shop manual at your fingertips.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Don't discount the alternator just yet. The electronic timer module (ETACM) monitors system voltage. If it's too low, it won't turn on the defogger because it presumes the car isn't running. I don't recall ever seeing this issue, but it's a possibility.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thank you, HT and Mike. I downloaded the info on the defroster. Unfortunately, it got cold and dark by the time I finished with the oil change. I have ascertained:

  1. the alternator seems to be putting out 13.5 volts +-
  2. The defroster switch illuminates when the tail lights are turned on.
  3. There is a click from under the dashboard when the switch is depressed, and a slightly different click when it is depressed again.
  4. What I presume is an "on" indicator light built into the switch does NOT illuminate.

I'll have to see if I can find the whole wiring diagram online at work tomorrow, since I'm using Firefox on a Mac here. I'm guessing the switch and defroster are OK, and the fault is in whatever powers the defroster and the indicator light.

Sorry, I'm not usually this half-assed, but everything is going to heck right now!

PB

Reply to
Plague Boy

We're probably safe to presume that the indicator is out for the same reason the defogger isn't working. The click indicates that the relay inside the timer is opening and closing (although not necessarily making electrical contact).

Check first fuse #9 (20A, left side bottom of interior fuse box). It's the most likely culprit. If okay, then you'll need to check the wiring between the fuse and the timer or relay, and then whether there's power coming out of the timer or relay.

Looking at the schematic, I see there are two different systems-- one with a defogger timer with a built-in relay, and another with an ETACM with an external relay. If my suspicions are correct, all U.S. models have the ETACM.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks. I'll see if I can get him to bring it back. I just destroyed the distributor in my Nissan (waah!) so I'll be staying home when I'm not at work :-(

PB

Reply to
Plague Boy