Wagoneer Rear Window Defogger

Do Rear Window Defoggers ever work? I have had Jeep Wagoneers, Mercedes and VWs, and with the exception of those I have driven home new from the dealer, have never had a rear window defogger work.

What is the common problem of Wagoneer rear window defogger failure, and what is the best fix?

Reply to
randallbrink

When you ask a question about a "Wagoneer" it's important to be specific.

You're saying "Wagoneer" and I assume you mean an SJ "Grand Wagoneer" because of the other threads, but I'm still not completely sure because of the way you've mixed the names.

Do you mean one of the 1963-1983 SJ Wagoneers or 1984-1991 SJ Grand Wagoneers? There was also an 84-90 XJ Wagoneer and for 1 year (1993) a ZJ badged a "Grand Wagoneer".

Assuming you mean a 1984-1991 SJ Grand Wagoneers, the usual procedures apply to make sure there is power getting to the tailgate - check the switch and the fuse first. This writeup is helpful:

There is also a defroster timer/relay in the tailgate itself that can malfunction. It can be accessed by unscrewing the carpeted trim panel from the tailgate and then opening the access panel. If the rear window still works from the rear key switch, find a way to support the window while the gate is open and then "raise" the window while operating the key switch and holding the safety switch on the left side of the gate. You can then access the tailgate components.

If you have power to the timer/relay and the relay works, then by far the most likely problem is that one of the braided wire leads soldered to the window defrost grid has broken. There is one on the right and left. In that case the lead should be flopping around in the gate attached to its plug. If so, the window must be removed and the lead soldered back to the grid. Not too hard really. These links can give you an idea how to take the window out:

I would have to say, that if you contemplate working on your gate, using a hole saw to make openings over the location of the window retaining clips will save much time and heartache in the future. Cover with hole plugs + RTV when done and no one will know but you. Also a washer and e-clip is a much easier way to go than messing around with the factory window retaining clips. But I digress . . .

Reply to
Apple2Steward

As others have mentioned, what 'flavor' of 'Wagoneer' is always a good thing to post. For instance I own a 'Laredo' Jeep.

On our 88 'XJ' Cherokee, the fuse itself had corroded legs on it that interfered with it working.

Our 2000 XJ's rear defrost works great.

On others that have power getting back there, the lines were broken from packages left leaning against the glass. I have bought the repair kits and used them with success to 'paint' new lines on where the breaks were.

Mike

2000 Cherokee Sport 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > Do Rear Window Defoggers ever work? I have had Jeep Wagoneers,
Reply to
Mike Romain

Thank you very much for all this. I will now be able to trace the problem and correct.

Reply to
randallbrink

Very good point thank you. I remember about those "paint" repairs and will keep that in mind if that is needed on this one.

Reply to
randallbrink