2001 Elantra

How to change spark plugs..My car is running heavy or rough (55000 miles). I don't recall changling plugs.. Could it be due to some other reason!

Reply to
Khaj

Plug wires.

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer

My mechanic who has been around for a while says ~ 2 years and you can start having troubles with spark plug leads. My experiences with Hyundais and Subarus bear that out. Mind you my 37 year old VW still using original leads. Hard to beat copper sometimes. John

Reply to
John

Put those 37 year old copper wires on a new engine with electronic ignition and you can probably light Yankee Stadium at night with the arcing.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Anyone know where I can get a shop manual for a '08 Elantra, dealer wants $100.00

Reply to
B.C. MALLAM

Your car is about due for 60K maintenance, have a major tune up done then.

Tom

Reply to
PMP4Hire

A "tune up" on these cars basically consists of replacing the plugs and wires. There are no manual adjustments to the ignition or fuel systems, unless perhaps one of the sensors has shifted.

At 60K, it will be due for a timing belt.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Plugs are due at 60k. Could be the wires as mentioned by another poster, or a host of other reasons. Due to your description (running heavy/rough), about the only thing I'm certain of is that there's been some change in how your engine runs-- I have little idea what that may be.

Also, if you need to ask how to change the spark plugs in this engine, I must question whether you should be doing this job without someone with experience present guiding you. My suspicion is that you've done very little auto repair, and in that case, it's good to have some sort of mentor to get you started. Stripping the threads in your engine is neither an easy nor inexpensive problem to repair.

That said, you can access the plugs through four holes in the top of the valve cover. They unscrew from the cylinder head.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

If you want the hard-cover version, it's probably dealer only.

On the other hand, if internet is okay, you can access for free by registering for an account at

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Probably plugs and or wires, but to be safe, check your trans fluid if auto. The fittings crack where the lines go into the trans cooler in the radiator, fluid leaks, and can cause slipping which might mimic rough engine in the early stages. My mechanic has repaired 4 such problems, including mine. Sadly, I ended up with new trans.

Reply to
Us