2002 Elantra Fuel Injector

The wife's car developed a very rough idle and when driving the car it lacked power and would barely keep running. The check engine light came on and I scanned the vehicle for any DTCs.

I don't recall the code but it stated the problem was fuel injector #1 "short to ground".

I have not removed the engine cover yet. Are there any markings to show which injector is #1?

Are special tools required to remove the fuel line?

I have changed injectors on my Mustang V8 and I required special fuel line removal tools to separate the fuel rail from the fuel line.

Thanks for any assistance.

Reply to
paul

Number 1 cylinder would be the first cylinder from front of engine. Or cylinder closest to the engine drive belt. Scott

-- Message posted using

information at

zonie

Don't jump the gun to replacing the injector. Grab an ohmmeter and check the resistance. It's more likely the connector is unplugged or there's a wiring problem than there's an actual electrical problem with the injector.

Rodents love wiring.

As for the work of replacing the injector, you won't need any special tools.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Thanks for the replies.

I checked the resistance on #1 and it was within the specification given on the Hyundai Service website. I unplugged #2 just to see what it's resistance was and it was the same as #1.

With the engine running, I unplugged #1 and the rocky, shaking idle did not get worse but when #2 was unplugged while running, the idle was far worse.

Called the Hyundai Dealer parts dept. and he said there were 2 different injectors for that year, one was around $80 and the other $135. The higher cost was if the vehicle had California emissions. He needed the VIN number to determine which injector was required. Neither injector was in stock and would have to be ordered by the dealer.

With the engine off but key on, the injector harness on #1 had around 12 volts. I could not find what the correct voltage was on the Hyundai Service website.

Don't really know what to do at this stage. Idle is very rough with light colored smoke coming from the tailpipe.

Reply to
paul

Should have added the DTCs I pulled this morning.

P0261 Fuel Injector #1 (N30) Short to Ground

P0301 Cylinder #1 Misfire

Reply to
paul

Okay. You've pretty much verified the power wire to the injector (battery voltage with key on) and the injector itself (via resistance). Since this is a problem with the injector circuit, the potential problems you have left are the wire from the injector to the ECM and the ECM itself. I'm pretty much banking at this point that the wire between the injector and ECM is either broken or rubbed through onto the engine/trans/chassis somewhere.

*Do not buy an injector. You've already verified the resistance.*

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech