2004 Sonata with excess vibration in steering wheel

I have a 2004 Hyundai Sonata base model with 2.4L engine and the 4 speed Shiftronic transmission. When stopped with the transmission in drive and foot on the brake, there is an abnormal amount of vibration that is felt on the steering wheel. When the tranmission is placed into neutral, the vibration is cut in half. It started out as a small vibration at approximately 27K miles and has progressively gotten worse at 42K miles. The dealer has checked the car out and says this vibration is normal for this mileage. I have a 2001Hyundai Elantra with 83K miles and this car has very little vibration compared to the Sonata. I am frustrated and ready to call Hyundai Consumer Affairs. Has anyone experienced this vibration before and if so, what was done to fix it?

Hyundaitech, do you have any insight on this problem?

Reply to
dadufort

My first thought is a loose or leaking vacuum hose, but surely if the dealers tech has checked it out they would have found that.

Reply to
Partner

Sonatas with the 2.4 engine have quite a lot of vibration when the car is in gear. This is, unfortunately, inherent in their design and will never go away.

Since you say the vibration has gotten worse since about 27,000 miles, it's possible that you have an issue with the motor mounts. If that's the case, replacing them will reduce (but not eliminate) the vibration.

You could call Hyundai customer assistance, but I'm thinking that won't get you very far unless you meet with the factory rep and are absolutely adamant that the vibration is significantly worse than before.

If you're game, call the service manager and offer that you won't bring the issue up again if they replace both upper mounts (one engine mount onthe right side of the vehicle, and one transmission mount on the left). Of course, this means that if nothing changes, you'll need to keep your word that you won't bring it up again. But in that case, I'm suspecting that the vibration is indeed normal, as they say.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I was told today by the dealership service manager that in was inherent with the 2.4L engine and that there was nothing more they could do. I have called the Consumer Affairs to complain about it. They are to call the dealership and get back to me next week. I will ask about the motor mounts. Thanks.

Reply to
dadufort

Is there a torque spec on the motor mounts? I wonder if that is my brand new vibration problem. (I just had the motor mount out to work on the timing belt. - 01 sonata

2.4l)

Reply to
Jared

Every bolt in an automobile has a torque spec. You should be able to find it at

Get a free account and get the picture viewer under "Site Requirements".

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski