2004 V6 Sonata--Fuel Filter Removal/Install Question

My '04 Sonata 2.7L V6 has 43K miles and has the original fuel filter installed. I don't suspect that it's clogged but I figured it wouldn't hurt to change it either. I've read that it is located in the fuel tank itself, can anyone verify this? If it is, what is the procedure for changing it out? I would guess it's accessed from the trunk?? I imagine the fuel line pressure would have to be reduced. Is this a job for the dealer or can a somewhat mechanically inclined individual tackle this? Thanks.

Ed

Reply to
OverLord1

I'm interested in why you'd change this Ed. Most cars today will show early signs of a fuel filter clogging. There will be reduced performance due to the lowered delivery pressure. Absent that I just wondered why not wait until it begins to show early warning signs? Just like to stay ahead of these things?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I believe you're correct Ed. If you're handy with a screwdriver and ratchet, you should be able to do this. I usually pull the line off at the pump carefully and gradually to let the pressure bleed off.

Reply to
hyundaitech

You're probably right, though I've noticed a slight hesitation under heavy acceleration. I figured at most I'll be out a few bucks and it's one less thing to do at 60K.

Ed

Reply to
OverLord1

There's a reprogram available to correct an intermittent hesitation on this car. Unfortunately, the TSB gives no description of the circumstances under which the hesitation occurs.

Reply to
hyundaitech