2006 Elantra

Anyone have one of these yet? Your thoughts/comments.

Most of the discussion lately has been on the Sonata. I don't need that much car anymore and would just like to hear any comments on the Elantra.

Thanks

Herb

Reply to
HPG

The 2006 Elantra is still the old style introduced in 2002 (I believe). We just bought a 2006 Elantra GLS sedan on Christmas Eve. It was a Christmas gift for my wife.

We started looking at new cars last March; scrutinized and test drove the new Sonata, Camry, Accord, Civic, Kia Spectra, and also the Ford Five Hundred of all things. We really never considered an Elantra at that time. But, after spending tons of time looking and test driving, as well as renting a 2006 Sonata GLS V6, we decided to take a look at the Elantra after all. After some discussion, we decided to pay cash for a car, rather than financing. Therefore, we went "down market" a bit from what we previously considered, excluding the Civic and Spectra of course. We liked what we saw in the Elantra, and I was impressed by the overall apparent build quality, ride, and value for the money. We got a decent deal (at least I think so) at $13,750, including fees, tax, and license.

We do have plans of buying another new car, perhaps in late November or December. And, if our experience with the Elantra is a good one, we most likely will go with the Sonata. Both my wife and I really like the Sonata as well. Since we keep our cars for at least 10 years, sometimes much longer, the more rapid depreciation rate of a Hyundai really doesn't concern me. No doubt, this will change in the future given the quality of their current products and as they become more popular.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an Elantra. Of course, we've owned it for less than a month and have very few miles on it. It has a nice feel to it, and drives well in town and on the highway. Overall, my wife and I are impressed.

Reply to
Don

A couple of more things . . .

We decided to go with the current generation Elantra, as it is now pretty much thoroughly "de-bugged" as well as for 2006 includes cruise control and the CD/6-speaker system as standard equipment. I do miss ABS (only available as a hard to find option with the sunroof). Nevertheless, I can live without it, as I've driven over 40 years without it anyway. My wife's previous vehicle did have ABS, and it also had a number of ABS-related problems.

And, frankly, I like the styling and interior. Some feel that it's dated, but I don't. And coming from driving SAABs for the last 25 years, the Elantra's dash reminds me of a SAAB 9000 dash in many respects. The Elantra 5-door hatchback even resembles a new generation SAAB 900 or a 9-3 in many respects.

The upcoming 2007 Elantra has some very nice features, especially standard ABS, 4-wheel disc brakes, and side curtain airbags. But, I don't regret buying a 2006, and would do so again in a heartbeat.

Reply to
Don

2006 Hatchback - definite step up from my 99 Accent. ;-) Zippy, cruises comfortably at well over the speed limit and averages around 30 mpg with a heavy foot doing around town sevice work. The only thing I will change is the radio. I want one that does mono mp3's for audiobooks and old folk & RnR music.
Reply to
nothermark

We have a 2005 GLS 5 door that has ABS, 6 speaker CD and NO sunroof. IIRC, this is Option pack 5. And YES, the option pack we have was a hard find. Had to have our's brought up to Henrietta, NY -about 30 miles from our home- from Vestal, NY.

Interior styling puts everything close to hand. Except for the power port under the cigar lighter. That is a bit af a reach to access. Nice feature none the less. I agree that the 5 door looks SAABish. Viewed from the font or rear quarters, especially. Even when viewed from the sides. Add a SAAB-style spoiler to it and you'd have a close cousin to a 900 series.

Reply to
Andy S

Just bought the GLS sedan w/ 5 speed. Including fees, PA tax, license, and inspection, price was just shy of $13K ($500 of the $1500 rebate was for military). Looked at Toyoat, Nissan, Ford, and various others. Nothing could touch the Elantra for the combination of price, features and apparent quality. Of course real quality will fall out as time goes on. It only has 500 miles so far. But fit and finish are flawless. Access for routine maintenance is excellent. Power is smooth and snappy; more would be a waste in my book. I do a lot of my own repair and all maintenance. The manuals are on line. I had to lay out $160 for the shop manual for the last car (Dodge Caravan). A nice bit of icing.

Reply to
gene.ressler

I purchased an 05 in oct of 05 just when the 06's came out. I found absolutely no difference in any manner between the 05 and 06. Might be something different but its not obvious to me. I was told the reason was that the 07 was coming out early, probably in the summer of

06 and it will be redesigned, so the 06 would remain the same as the
  1. Any way, I have had the 05 about 2 1/2 months and have been very satisfied with the car. No problems at all. Just took it on a 3,000 plus tip at christmas from cleveland to dallas. Drove the car for 19 hours only stoping for gas and a bite to eat. Went 70-76 mph at all times except when going through cities where I had to slow to 60-65 mph. My mpg was over 30 miles per gallon with two adults, trunk packed full and back seat half packed with christmas presents. Great mileage. The gas tank holds about 14 gallons and I would start looking for gas every 420-450 miles. Love the car. No problems.
Reply to
Robert

I believe the only difference between the '05 and '06 that I'm aware of is the Cruise Control and the CD Radio is now standard on the '06. There may be other differences.

Reply to
Don