2006 sonata

fog lamps

is there a way to have them ON all the time

i would assume it is just a matter of identifying which wire in the bundle needs to be dropped to ground

Reply to
over65

There'll be a blue wire running between pins 10 and 13 of the light switch connector. If you cut the wire and attach the pin 13 end to ground, the fog lamp switch will work independently of the headlamp switch setting.

Reply to
hyundaitech

thank you very much

Reply to
over65

thank you very much

Reply to
over65

Why?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

more light

Reply to
over65

Am I missing something, or doesn't this blind oncoming drivers? This is getting more important to me as I get older.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

They don't blind other drivers, but the don't give off much light aside from the low level directly in front of the car. Designed to cut through fog, they do very little under normal driving conditions.

The normal low beams on the car are OK on level roads. They are precisely aimed to concentrate the light in the path of the car. The downside though, is they give little light to the periphery and on a twisting hilly road, you need the high beams to see properly. That is OK if you are the only car, but with oncoming traffic you are switching them on and off very frequently.

Some people think they look cool. Aside from that, there is no good reason to have them on unless you are in fog.

Best headlights ever was my '97 Buick. Rarely needed the high beams under any conditions.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If they're aimed properly, no. I'd need to reread the manual for the specific aiming criteria in my state, but at the very least, the top of the beam is allowed to be no higher than horizontal. Of course, if they're not aimed correctly, they could easily blind drivers.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Oh, sorry guys. I must have been passing a brain stone. I got them mixed up with driving lights.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Steinfeld

I think this is the problem. These are the small, bright lights close to the ground, in the air dam? About 50% of the cars with these seem to have one light aimed so it's blinding. Maybe it's something to do with the snowbanks during the winter, or curbs.

Anyhow, they are really annoying and I'm thinking the inspection places don't bother to check them.

NYS requires an annual motor vehicle inspection. It does not mean our roads are free from cars with mis-aimed headlights and foglights, cracked/missing tail and brake light lenses, etc. I'd hate to live in one of the states that doesn't require inspection....

Reply to
Plague Boy

I do and the cars are no better or no worse than the ones that have inspection.

I've lived in both. If private garages do the inspection you can expect a lot of fraud either skipping over needed repairs or telling people they need work when they don't. We had three cars in the house and at one shop, each needed headlight adjustment, next inspection each needed a wiper blade, at the next inspection each needed something else. They sold a $10 make a quick buck service but did not properly check ball joints, steering arm bushings, drag link, etc. That is why I went there as a teenager because the cars needed a lot of work that would have cost hundreds.

PA was the worst I've encountered, NJ was done by the state but if a woman wore a low cut blouse the car may pass.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:AdGdnRhIxKSUxozWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

As corrupt as NJ is portrayed, the inspection system just isn't one of those places where it actually happens.

As an example, the place where I work had me take a 1987 Dodge Snow Commander for inspection. It was in horrible condition. Never should have passed but it did...with no questions asked. Even our auto mechanic at work was in shock. The next day I wook my own personal '88 Chevy pickup to the same station...same line...same technician. It failed for four different things. And it was actually in almost excellent condition.

The only difference I could see is the guy probably had a bad night the night before and was just in a mood.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Keep in mind state inspections are a strange bird. If most states are like mine, the regulations are outdated and don't necessarily make sense. The inspection should be about safety, but sometimes it isn't. As examples:

Wipers must work on all speeds, park properly, and cannot be torn, but do not need to actually clear the windshield. Excessive battery corrosion fails inspection. Catalytic converter must be present and properly connected.

I list these as examples because things that aren't safety related fail inspection, yet some things that are safety related don't. The state trooper who gave me the practical examination actually said to me: "It doesn't have to make sense. It's the law." And herein lies the problem. State inspections are based in law, not necessarily common sense.

Reply to
hyundaitech

In Australia we have the same bizarre inspections. Took my 70 Beetle in for a check and the bloke was counting rust spots on the headlight reflector. The very same bloke who passed a mates beetle that had no fuel clamps on its fuel lines. (ie carby and puel pump adjacent to distributor, on top of hot exhaust). Very true statement from other contributor, "State Inspections are based in law, not common sense".

Reply to
John