2006 Sonata trunk lift cylinders

I was cleaning my Sonata today and noticed something odd with the trunk lift cylinders. The left cylinder on my car has a plastic shroud over the bottom of the cylinder to protect the rod where it exits the body of the gas cylinder (the cylinders are mounted "upside down" with the main body on top and the rod coming out the bottom). However, the cylinder on the right side has no such protect shroud, even though the mounting stud has a groove just like the left side for the shroud to snap into. Anyone else with an 06 notice this?

Hyundaitech, any idea of this is by design or did they just miss mine during assembly? The only reason I can see to have it on the left and not the right is that the left side has the wiring coming up beside the cylinder so maybe this is to protect the wiring from getting pinched.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Actually, Matt, I have no idea. If I remember, I'll look at the next one I pull in and report back.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I just checked mine, Matt. We have the same car. Shroud's on the left but NOT the right. You're probably correct about avoiding pinching the wire bundle.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

It must be intentional then as I can't imagine that odds that we'd both just happen to get a car where they forgot one side. The wires was my only theory although it seems like the shroud would have made the other side look better and also protect the exposed piston rod from dirt and such.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I have a 2006 gls 4cyl with the same setup as Matt

Reply to
bop

Hey, everything costs money. Even that flimsy shroud including installation. I guess the car has many such 'short cuts' to keep the price so nice.

Reply to
Tom

I notice the rubber boots on the wires are real rubber, not cheap plastic. The gas struts probably cost Hyundai $5 apiece in 10K quantities, but they're nicer and more expensive than Accord and Camry trunk hinges. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins