1981 240 GLT Wagon--question

I took the driver side door panel off to replace a speaker and oil the regulator mechanism. When I went to push the automatic door lock button down it did not operate the door locks. I could still lock the doors with the key but the button/rod had stopped working. The rod is attached to a black plastic cylinder that has three wires coming out its bottom. It doesn't appear to be a switch as the rods don't move inside it. How on earth does this operate? The manual does not go into any detail about this and nothing on the wiring schematic indicates how it works. Help. Thanking you in advance. Derek in Pompano Beach, Florida

Reply to
Derek Lawler

It is a switch. If you push down firmly enough, you can notice the rod "shortening" slightly. Pulling up "stretches" the rod. This is connected in parallel to a switch that wraps around the key cylinder.

Reply to
Mike F

Thanks for the quick response. I probably screwed up the switch, as at an earlier removal the plastic push button threads were ruined, so I put it back on with epoxy, assuming that later the epoxy would break free of the threaded rod and would act as new threads. That didn't happen and in the course of turning the button I must have turned the rod inside the switch and buggered it up. I doubt I can get a new or used one but will check local salvage yards or jury rig a new kind of switch. Thanks again for clearing up the mystery.

Reply to
Derek Lawler

Finding the switch should be no problem at all, they were used in zillions of 240's from the very early 80's until '93 and they rarely fail so there's literally tens of thousands of them sitting in scrapyards around the world. If you get stuck let me know, I probably have one lying around somewhere.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks for the offer James. I fiddled around with the switch after reading what Mike said about how it only moves a fraction up and down. By turning it on the rod found a slack place and by pushing the rod down managed to activate the locking mechanism. Whether this is a permanent fix we shall see. I would like to know what the interior of that switch looks like but will be doing no surgery on it till I find another. Meanwhile I will be looking in scrap yards for all manner of parts as I also messed up the arm rest interlock at the top of the rest by twisting it when not properly engaged. They used three screws in the bottom part---why not a screw for the top? I am keeping this car till I get 250K on it (my target)---10K to go. Doesn't burn oil and has plenty of get up and go. I rebuilt the overdrive ten years ago and it quit on me two years ago but still gets

25mpgal on trips without the overdrive.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Lawler