2007 Sonata wheel noise

I have wheel noise, best described as a whistling or higher pitched grinding noise, that my 2007 Sonata makes. The noise occurs almost exclusively when driving straight - when I make turns or apply the brakes the noise goes away.

I took it into the dealer (6/12/08), they said they checked everything, even test drove the car and didn't hear the noise (it does sometimes take a bit of time while driving for the noise to kick in, but the noise is there EVERYTIME I drive).

Again, the dealer says there is nothing wrong with brakes, tires, suspension, etc. So I am not worried about safety, but the noise is annoying and embarrassing. The dealer thinks it is the brakes getting too hot and then making the noise. I honestly do not drive more than

28 miles round trip to work and back, so I cannot believe the brakes get too hot.

Anyone have any ideas what it can be or what I can do? Is my dealer full of you know what?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
quincyxg

Here's my guess:

The brake pads are seizing in the calipers. This causes the brakes to stay applies slightly. In turn, the rotors heat up, and the rubbing makes the noise you hear.

I've seen this several times, mostly on cars that are driven 500 miles a month or less. It tends to happen after there's a small amount of rust buildup on the backing plates, creating just enough friction to cause them to stick in the caliper bracket.

Check with the dealer and see if you can make an appointment for them to look at it right when you arrive after driving the car for the appropriate distance. Have them ride/drive with you if necessary for them to duplicate the noise.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

I can't hear your noise, of course. But a wheel bearing can make a noise which goes away upon the load of braking or turning. .02$

Reply to
Roscoe C. Arbuckle

This describes the wheel noise exactly that I am experiencing on my 08 Sonata. I will be bringing it to the dealer tomorrow morning...if I find anything out I will reply again... :!:

"quincyxg" wrote: > I have wheel noise, best described as a whistling or higher > pitched > grinding noise, that my 2007 Sonata makes. The noise occurs > almost > exclusively when driving straight - when I make turns or apply > the > brakes the noise goes away. > > I took it into the dealer (6/12/08), they said they checked > everything, even test drove the car and didn't hear the noise > (it does > sometimes take a bit of time while driving for the noise to > kick in, > but the noise is there EVERYTIME I drive). > > Again, the dealer says there is nothing wrong with brakes, > tires, > suspension, etc. So I am not worried about safety, but the > noise is > annoying and embarrassing. The dealer thinks it is the brakes > getting > too hot and then making the noise. I honestly do not drive > more than > 28 miles round trip to work and back, so I cannot believe the > brakes > get too hot. > > Anyone have any ideas what it can be or what I can do? Is my > dealer > full of you know what? > > Thanks in advance.

Reply to
raguSON08