98 Hyundai Elantra OBD II Codes

My check engine light came on so I took the car to AutoZone and had the codes read P0422 P0712 his little manual said the 422 could be cat, o2 sensor or a few other things and nothing about the 712. A google of the 712 says trans fluid temp circuit low. the car just had a new trans put in so i am thinking this one might be stored, is there anyway to narrrow down the 422 though?

Reply to
Rosco

First, repair any exhaust leaks. They can confuse the computer into thinking there's a catalyst issue.

Then, to decide whether the oxygen sensors are working properly, you'll need to look at their waveforms. The front one should cycle from low to high voltage when hot idling at least once every three seconds. The rear should remain relatively steady. If the amplitude of the rear oxygen sensor waveform is similar to that of the front oxygen sensor waveform, then you need a new catalytic converter (the one between the two sensors).

Reply to
hyundaitech