"Adjusted Market Value" Huh?

Hello,

Saw the Elantra's at the dealership today. Nice car.

Question: On the sticker for each car, they had as an add on an extra price above and beyond the MSRP of $1,500 to $2,000 labeled: "Adjusted Market Value"

What is this ?

Salesman said it's because of all the things the car has as standard compared to Toyotas and Hondas. Amazingly, he said it with a straight face; probably years of training involved in doing so.

Anyway, what is it ?

Is it something other Hyundai dealers (probably)do also ?

I've never seen it at Honda or Toyota dealerships.

How do you handle it during price negotiations ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

It is called "what the market will bear" or "price gouging" depending on your perspective. This isn't unusual for cars that are popular at any given time.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

It is called "what the market will bear" or "price gouging" depending on your perspective. This isn't unusual for cars that are popular at any given time.

Matt

Reply to
Voyager

"Bob" wrote

It is called "extra profit" for the dealer. I've seen it on many different dealer's lots. As how to handle it during price negotiations, you just ignore it and start below the original sticker price.

Some dealers try to explain it as adjustment for the dollar exchange rate according to the source of the vehicle. Another dealer tried to explain it as a way of getting financing for a trade in that is upside down on the loan.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Unless this is the only Hyundai dealer near you, I'd make it clear you weren't going along with the scam and walk out. A few years ago a Hyundai dealer in MA tried to explain that the $900 they wanted for paint protectant, rustproofing and fabric protections was the only way they made a profit on the car. When the Prius was really hot, Toyota dealers were doing this. I think they called it "ADM", for Added Dealer Markup.

You might try going through carsdirect.com. I've done well with them.

No doubt the Elantra is selling pretty well right now:

Raoul

It's called "screw the customer" and you need to walk out of the store and never come back and hope they go out of business. Bob

Reply to
Cat

Yes it is a response to the supply-demand balance.

It works both ways. When sales are slow we get incentives.

Reply to
Kixi