Air Conditioning Filter

To those who do not read the manual. (LIKE ME) I just discovered my 06 Sonata LX has an a/c filter...DAMN it was filthy, I'd say it was almost clogged. I'll buy a home filter and cut it to size. Dealer wants way too much for a paper filter.

Reply to
Rob

How much does the dealer want for just the part? Advanced Auto lists it for $12. I've not bought one yet, but I'm due too.

The dealer will install one as a "special" and the ad states "starting at $69". Dealers have to make a profit, but that seems steep to me.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Agree with Ed. While many do not like Fram filters, this is a perfect application for a Fram-like filter. And most auto parts stores either have them or can get them, and for significantly less money.

Here is one case where I cannot possibly see any benefit in spending more money for the dealer item.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

If you're talking about a "cabin filter", I checked the one on my 2003 Toyota Avalon (with some difficulty, since it resides behind the glove compartment) and found it almost pristine after four years, so I merely washed in in detergent and warm water, let it dry and stuck it back in place. The Toyota dealer near me wants an arm and a leg ...about 60 bucks as I recall...to replace it.

Reply to
mack

Yes it's a cabin filter, located behind the glove box and above the fan. Mine was full of leaves, dirt, grass, etc.

Reply to
Rob

REPLY: Agree. I get the thick trim to size filter media on a sheet and it works good. Before you slide the new filter back in, clean the Evaporator surface with a soft brush which is readily accessible and spray it with vinegar to cut down on foul smells that originate. The vinegar smell dissapates soon.

Reply to
IlBeBauck