ATTN Hyundaitech: Part confirmation for 2013 Elantra GLS

Hyundaitech,

The 2013 Elantra GLS I have doesn't come with a spare. I was thinking of getting a full size spare but I have two options. I can get the Aluminium (a.k.a Alloy) part 529103X250 or the basic steel wheel. I am

99.99% certain the steel wheel part number is 529103X170. Are you able to confirm this? I got this info from:

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

For US-produced cars, I show 52910-3Y150 as the 16 inch steel wheel and 52910-3Y050 as the 15 inch steel wheel. 52910-3Y250 is the 16 inch aluminum wheel and 52910-3Y350 is the 17 inch aluminum wheel. I'll try to look for Korean-produced cars later.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks for checking into this. I checked on my sticker and it says my Elantra GLS was made in Korea, not the US. I am not sure which weighs more but I figure if I am going to shell out cash for a full sized spare it might as well be for a new steel rim rather than a used alloy rim.

I know the alloy rim part on my wheel is 52910-3X250 as I looked at the rim when I rotated my tires last month and it's stamped on the rim. But I originally though the steel wheel was part 52910-3X170. It all has to do with bolt pattern and stuff, right?

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Glad you posted again; I had already forgotten about this.

I'm showing the following part numbers for Korean-made Elantras:

52910-3X170 Steel, 16x6.5 52910-3X250 Aluminum, 16x6.5 52910-3X300 Categorized as aluminum, but labeled steel in description, 16x6.5 52910-3X350 Aluminum, 17x7.0 52910-3X450 Aluminum, 16x6.5 52910-3X550 Aluminum, 17x7.0

I believe they'll all have the same bolt pattern, but they'll differ in width, diameter, and style.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Ok, so it looks like 52910-3X170 is what I'd need to get since it matches the width of 52910-3X250, right?

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP)

That's what I would do if I wanted a steel wheel. Be sure to price first; aluminum may be about the same price. I've no idea what's going on with the listing on the 3X300.

Reply to
hyundaitech

A new aluminum rim is around $300-350. The steel rim is around $100-125 new. It's a no brainer.

By the way, does $20 to program a TPMS sound right?

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf (MVP)

$20 sounds a little on the inexpensive side. Keep in mind, though, that your car can only store four sensor id's. So you won't be able to have it programmed up and ready to go when you need to put it on the car.

Reply to
hyundaitech

So that means if programmed it, I bought a spare and had the TPMS installed on the spare and stuck the spare in my trunk it would not be ok? I should just buy the rim, spare tire and fuhgeddaboudit?

- Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

Reply to
Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]

If you programmed the spare sensor, it would take the place of a sensor on a wheel already installed. Each sensor has an address. The addresses of the four sensors on your car have been programmed into the tire pressure module.

You basically have two choices: the one you mention above, or installing a sensor on the spare wheel and then programming it to the car later if you use it.

Reply to
hyundaitech