2002 Santa Fe Rough Idle After Fueling

Every time I fuel my Santa Fe it's very hard to start and to keep running for a couple of minutes, it will die if I keep the idle high. This only happens when I get gas. I don't overfill the tank. Any ideas as to what is causing this?

Reply to
Buckeyered

Your purge control valve is stuck open.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I replaced the purge control valve and cleaned the throttle body then went and fueled again and the problem is fixed but I had only gotten

12 MPG before replac>Your purge control valve is stuck open.
Reply to
Buckeyered

Doubtful, but possible. What was your normal fuel economy before it went to 12?

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Buckeyered

I refueled and mileage went back to 22 mpg after changing the valve but now the check engine light keeps coming on. Advance auto has reset it a couple of times and they said that it gives a fuel cap code and they tell me to remove the cap and put it back on but the check engine light comes back on a few hours later. What should I check now? Thanks

Reply to
Buckeyered

What was the actual P code? No one can even try to help you without the code.

I refueled and mileage went back to 22 mpg after changing the valve but now the check engine light keeps coming on. Advance auto has reset it a couple of times and they said that it gives a fuel cap code and they tell me to remove the cap and put it back on but the check engine light comes back on a few hours later. What should I check now? Thanks

Reply to
Partner

I could try, but I'll probably be largely unsuccessful. If you tell us the code, that'll identify more clearly what the engine computer thought was out of the ordinary. Also, I don't trust a parts store's ability to accurately explain (or understand) the meaning of a trouble code.

Reply to
hyundaitech

MPG has dropped back down to around 13 and check engine light went out for a couple of weeks then came back on, auto zone said there are these two codes. The two codes are PO441 AND PO455. What should I try next? The poor gas mileage is breaking me. Thanks

Reply to
Buckeyered

omputer thought was out of the ordinary.

derstand) the meaning of a trouble code.

Check the vacuum hoses going to the purge valve. I've only seen P0441 occu r for two reasons: purge valve stuck closed, or leaking purge hose between valve and intake. The latter will also cause a P0455 (large evap leak) bec ause, no matter how hard the computer tries, it cannot put a vacuum on the fuel tank.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Buckeyered

Recheck your fuel economy after correcting the purge valve again. There's no point in trying to address a fuel economy issue until the purge issue is resolved; the purge valve may be the culprit in the first place.

Also check your carbon canister. The carbon may be coming out of it and getting stuck in the purge valve.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Buckeyered

Check to see if the purge valve is stuck open again. If you can blow throu gh it with the vehicle off, it's stuck open. Sometimes they only stick a l ittle bit, and disturbing them will make them shut again. You might try re moving the purge hose from the intake plenum and seeing if you can blow thr ough it.

I don't recommend doing anything with the canister unless you actually find an issue. Finding a piece of charcoal (about 1/16" diameter and 1/8" long ) in the vacuum line is sufficient. Also, you can remove the canister and see if pieces fall out. If either of these is the case, you need to replac e the canister.

The fuel odor may not mean anything as long as you're referring to an odor coming from the exhaust on cold starts. I've witnessed this on many older Santa Fes; it's a normally occurring condition. If it happens on warm star ts or the odor is coming from somewhere other than the exhaust, locate the source of the odor prior to servicing the purge valve; a leaking purge line will cause a fuel odor.

Reply to
hyundaitech