+ battery terminal 2002 XG300

Hi Everyone,

Last March 30th I bought a new battery from Sears. They also sold me a very solid looking set of terminal clamps with. They were able to hook up the negative wire but the positive had an entire harness where EVERYTHING was attached so that with too much rust and oxidation on the rind that goes on the terminal and it gets loose and breaks the connection.

Unfortunately, you can't replace the ring and it can only tighten so much so you need to get the entire cable, with the fuse assembly and that is a little over a hundred dollars...I guess about $120. With installation I'd be looking at $200 at least. All this for a loose ring.

So, I want to rig something that will keep up the current without adding too much resistance. I originally thought of cutting off the ring and attaching another wire from the point it first attaches to the bracket to the new Sears battery terminal clamp. Can that work?

Alan

Reply to
Alan

I've been running a 97 Nissan Pickup for almost two years with an un-rusted part of the original positive ring bridged to a replacement terminal clamp with a strap I had laying around from another old replacement clamp. no problem so far.

So long as you have good electrical contact through solid enough conductive materials from the original harness to the terminal, you should be OK.

Stick with materials intended for underhood elelctrcal use.

Reply to
zayton

Thanks Zayton, but how do I know what metals are intended for under the hood use? It's not like when you ask someone in a store they know what they are talking about. I guess you mean something that won't rust. What about these (although I don't yet know the diameter of a battery terminal:

Copper Tube Cap

Hose Clamp (Just the band cut to fit the circumference of the terminal) and the Hyundai battery connector could be put over the terminal and this extra ring:

What I was th>Alan wrote:

Reply to
Alan

If the clamp is just loose and won't tighten but otherwise in reasonable condition, insert a small sheet metal screw between the clamp and battery post. Typically, this will take up enough extra space that the clamp will tighten.

Reply to
hyundaitech