Car pulls to left on acceleration

I have a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L All Wheel Drive.
When I am riding along at 30, 40, or 50 MPH or so, and I step on the
accelerator, the vehicle pulls to the left slightly. When I take my foot
off the accelerator, it returns to normal with no pulling to either side.
At first, I wondered if it was a motor mount issue. But, when the car is
sitting still in neutral and I step on the accelerator, there is no sense
that the motor shifts like it would with a loose motor mount.
I have a hunch that the pulling to the left may be due to an issue with the
AWD Traction Control System -- something about a speed sensor on one of the
wheels.
Am I on the right track about this? Or, can anyone suggest other possible
causes for this symptom?
Thanks.
Reply to
TomR
Torque steer is common. I don't know how bad yours is but this will give you a good explanation.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
In news:sdfJD.1411807$ snipped-for-privacy@fx48.iad,
Thanks Ed. Interesting article. I'll have to check out the tire question etc. to see if I can narrow down what is causing this in my case.
If I figure it out, I'll post a follow-up here.
Reply to
TomR
You may have worn ball joints or tie-rod ends. Tie-rod ends are easy to check for looseness or play. Ball joints are much more difficult to detect unless they're really worn out.
Reply to
Bob
In news:ptft2o$l2m$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org,
Thanks. I lucked out on this and it's fixed. I took the car to a Pep Boys store for a different (cooling system) issue and had them check out the front end while there. They said the problem with the front end a loose bolt or bolts. I was in a hurry when leaving so I didn't quite get where the loose bolt or bolts was/were. But they might have said the tie rod ends. Anyway, they tightened the loose bolt/bolts, and now everything works fine. Total cost -- 20 bucks.
Reply to
TomR

Site Timeline Threads