Car pulls to the left

Can someone help me diagnose what the problem could be when my wifes Renault Clio pulls to the left.

Thanks

Reply to
Chris Horsted

is less effective than the lh side. This could be due to a number of reasons, including contaminated disc/ pads (possible leak on to disc assembly), seized or partially seized brake calliper, worn out pads or damaged disc surface. I have within the last month had to replace the pads and discs on my Clio due to terrible wear to one of the brake discs.

Reply to
David

Under braking, or just driving? Jon

Reply to
Jon

If this is under normal driving conditions (ie. not just under braking) then it's likely that the tracking is out. However, check front tyre pressures first to rule that out. If pressure's are okay then take to your local rapid-fit / dealer and have the tracking checked / adjusted (about £10). If the tracking isn't at fault then it points to suspension problems.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Why should tracking affect which way a car pulls? Surely both front tyres will be at the same angle to the car as each other when going in a straight line regardless of the distance between the front and back of them?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Chris Horsted, snipped-for-privacy@boxmoorgolfclub.co.uk escribi=F3 en el mensaje,=20 , Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:46:12 -0000

I had this with my Laguna. Turned out to be a small bump on offside front t= yre=20 caused by a puncture repair

Reply to
news.ntlworld.com

Dave

Thanks for that I will take a look at possibles

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris Horsted

The most likely cause is wear/damage to the suspension - assuming the easy things like checking the tyres are of the same condition make and pressure have been done. The other possibility is a partially seized brake - but this would show up by excessive heat on one side only.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

When I drove my mum's polo (given typical mum maintenance, ie none), the tracking was absolutely miles out. The steering wheel had to be held at a 30 degree angle left of centre to go in a straight line and under braking you had very unusual effects with the left front wheel locking up under relatively light braking. As soon as the tracking had been sorted everything was fine. If you have one track rod end much longer or shorter than the other you'll get the car pulling to one side. If they're both too short or too long you'll just get shoulder wear.

Reply to
Doki

It can just be uneven tyre wear. Try swapping the front wheels over.

Reply to
Steve B

Your wifes driving? :-)

Robert

Reply to
Robert R News

If braking

If not seized calliper on front, have a look at adjusters/leaking cylinder on rear ( assume you have drums on rear) probably drivers side.

Rear brakes provide about 20% of braking - or so I was informed some time ago!

Reply to
me