Clutch Problems 2003 Tiburon

Posting for my daughter so the car may be a 2004 instead of 03. Anyway, she has started to experience clutch problems with her Tiburon (20,000 miles). Sounds like possilby the clutch plate or disc is warped. Push the clutch in and the transmission will not disengage. Hard to shift into low. Took into dealer and he could not get it to act up (always the way). We drained and refilled the fluid in case that might be the problem. No help. Before anyone blames poor clutch techniques, my daughter's first car was a stick and she put over 100,000 miles on her Honda Del Sol (also a standard shift) without any clutch or transmisson problems.

ny one else experiencing anything similar with their stick-shifts?

Thanks

Reply to
SuperGlide

Could be something in the mechanism is loosening which is causing the adjustment change.

Another thing to consider is the floor mats. If the mat gets under the petal and prevents it from going all the way down it could cause problems. A simple thing that sometimes can cause intermittent problems.

Good Luck,

-=-=- ... Just because it's impossible is no reason not to do it.

Reply to
Edd

Is this a V6 or I4 engine? ISTR hearing that for the 2003 V6 Tiburons, they used the same clutch as they did in the 4-banger models. The extra power of the engine apparently caused premature clutch wear in a lot of cases. The fix suggested by the folks at

was"install an aftermarket racing clutch", which apparently helped a lot.If this is a 4-banger, then that's probably not the problem.

It always works in your office; it always fails in the Boss's office.

I don't think this is likely on a 2003 Tiburon. The mats have eyelets in them which fit into hooks in the car's floor, and those keep the mat in approximately the right place. Oh well, check it anyway; it won't take too long.

Reply to
Dances With Crows

Thanks. Really hope you are wrong though about needing a clutch upgrade.

SuperGlide

Reply to
SuperGlide

had to have the clutch replace in my 04 Elantra GT.. had a bent throughout bearing so they replaced the whole clutch assembly, under warranty....

Pete...

Reply to
Pete

Thanks, Pete. Hope we are as lucky (if have problem similar to yours).

SuperGlide

Reply to
SuperGlide

Reply to
Jody

Transmission does not want to disengage when pushing the clutch in. Wants to continue pulling even when coming to a stop (not always, but too often for comfort).

SuperGlide

Reply to
SuperGlide

Thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier post. Visited the daughter over the weekend and spent a little while under the dash working on the clutch adjustment. The tech page in the Hyundai web site seems to give some erroneous information regarding the clutch pedal adjustment. Just no way (in my opinion) of adjusting the clutch pedal height as much as they recommend. Maybe the hyundaitech can shed some light on that.

But, while I was down there breaking my back and scraping my arms under the dash, I noticed the two pistion electrical-switches seemed to limit the travel and I was able to adjust them to free up a little pedal play. Also, I noticed that the pedal had been "bottoming out," on the floor mat. Someone had suggested looking at that. THANKS!! Whatever I did seemed to correct the problem (at least I could not get it to "happen.") Drove the Tib for over two hours on Chicago area expressways and suburban highways.

SuperGlide

Reply to
SuperGlide

i bought my tiburon a little bit over a year ago, used, but in very good condition, its a 2003 but not the V6, and i started noticing the clutch slipping out of gears about 2 months ago. i brought it to the hyundai parts and services place nearby, they charged me $180 to perform a diagnostic(my warranty is still good), and they came back with the diagnosis that my clutch needed to be replaced and possibly my flywheel, however, they told me that it wouldnt be covered under warranty because it was 'wear n tear'. so i brought it to a guy i know and trust and he went to fix it. when he was doing so he called me to inform me that it wasnt due to wear and tear because it was saturated in oil that was leaking from the transmission. at this point my car was literally undrivebale so i had him finish replacing the clutch, figuring that i'd bring it back to hyundai and get my trani fixed and my clutch replacement reinbursed. they informed me that they werent going to do either because i had gotten it fixed somewhere else. this isnt right because my clutch cost me $1,000, and now my transmission is going to cost me between 2-3 thousand, and dont forget the useless, inaccurate, diagnostic which was 180.

-Helene

Reply to
helene

Heres what you do in the future when this occurs:

Have your shop STOP IMMEDIATELY.

Call Hyundai roadside assistance, tell them the situation, tell them you want the unassembled pile of crap taken to the Hyundai dealer and fixed. At this point you (firmly) request they replace the clutch since it was damaged by their covered component failure.

I sure as hell wouldn't take it to dealer you already visited - a $180 diagnostic for a slipping clutch would have lead to an unconscious service manager (jaw readjustment)

As for this running you thousands... I might want to consider these are some of the easiest cars in the world to work on, and the 4-cyl parts are so plentiful that junkyards every day are destroying *good* Hyundai transmissions because they're simply not in high demand.

car-parts.com puts the price around $500 for a "good" used MT for your car.

JS

helene wrote:

Reply to
JS

thank you so much...i just have one more question...i joined onto this class act law suit thats being filed against hyundai for the clutch and transmission problems...i need by car in the meantime so i was going to get it fixed by doing what you had suggested, but is that going to jeoperadize my chances with the law suit?

Reply to
helene

I haven't seen many law suits that I would describe as class acts.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

If you joined a class action law suit then you'd better check with the attorneys that are handling the suit to find out what you can do and what you can't. You don't really think anyone in a usenet newsgroup is a valid source of information regarding law suits, do you?

Reply to
Mike Marlow